Information Technology at Virginia Tech is an organization that serves the university community and the citizens of the Commonwealth of Virginia by applying and integrating information resources to enhance and support instruction, teaching and learning; to participate in, support and enhance research; to foster outreach, develop partnerships with communities, and promote the capabilities of advanced networking and communications; and to provide, secure and maintain systems allowing the university to accomplish its missions.
The Office of Information Technology and CIO at Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Job opportunities with Information Technology at Virginia Tech
Apr 21, 2017
Director, Academic Applications
The Director of Academic Applications within Enterprise Systems is responsible for managing the delivery and support of the portfolio of enterprise applications for academic and student services including vendor applications, in-house development, and ongoing maintenance. This position provides leadership to the Academic Applications group and is responsible for planning, organizing, staffing, and coordination of the groupGÇÖs activities. The Director collaborates with university offices to analyze requirements and develop recommendations for supporting and reengineering business processes to achieve the greatest benefits for the university. This position plans the delivery and implementation of new services, supports existing services, and facilitates continuous process improvement of services. The Director of Academic Applications provides guidance to technical staff on best practices and efficiencies and contributes to the definition and implementation of strategic goals for Enterprise Systems.
Virginia Tech is unable to sponsor applicants for work visas for this vacancy.
- Apr 18, 2017 Field Technician Assistant Performs the installation, repair and maintenance of campus wide voice,data and video systems. Activates various telecommunications services as specified in work orders. Performs fusion splicing, termination and testing of optical fiber. Install network hardware to include wireless access points and Ethernet switches. Installs Category 6 and 6A station cable, terminates RJ45 Jacks, terminates S210 wiring blocks and performs certification of station cable to ensure compliance with industry standards.
Apr 17, 2017
The successful candidate will apply specialized knowledge and concepts to the completion of assigned projects to meet the needs and requirements of the Virginia Cyber Range. Projects will involve designing, developing, and troubleshooting purpose-built micro-services architecture proponents within a cloud-based environment. Responsibilities will range from working independently on multiple complex projects to serving as a technical consultant or a leader of projects, typically with strict deadlines and heavy workloads as other duties assigned. May provide consultation and advice on major implementations ensuring that services are available and accessible. Collaborates effectively with team members to ensure success of projects and systems.
The successful candidate will have the ability to keep detailed records via a CI/CD software development pipeline. The successful candidate must have the ability to communicate and interact with diverse client+¿le, a strong work ethic and organization skills to work independently with minimal supervision and adapt quickly to changing computer environments.
Apr 14, 2017
Business Intelligence Support Analyst
The Business Intelligence Support Analyst will have a direct and significant impact on the success of numerous projects involved in the effort to build an integrated business intelligence platform. The individual will administer business intelligence applications, develop technical solutions, and become fluent in the business intelligence technologies utilized by the University.
The BI Support Analyst must be able to work cooperatively in a cross-team environment as well as independently manage project tasks; accept responsibility for mission critical systems; meet deadlines; and be able to respond to ever changing business needs and technology to meet the general goals of the university. The person will participate directly in automating processes for efficiency, designing and implementing reports and dashboards, testing data and reports, and troubleshooting issues.
This position requires a combination of strong user-facing skills and an understanding of both business needs and the underlying technologies to support them, preferably in a higher education environment. The BI Support Analyst will follow and provide input on policies supporting coding standards, code promotion, report development, and other technical standards as they apply. This team member will interact with business, data, and information technology personnel to complete BI requests.
Apr 12, 2017
IT Spec I
Provide information technology support to Network Infrastructure and Services.
o Provides accurate solutions to reported problems employing advanced
knowledge of desktop computing operating systems and applications,
network connectivity and Virginia Tech Central IT provided software
applications and services
o Uses appropriate diagnostic tools to solve or escalate reported symptoms
o Escalates problems to application/service area when appropriate (i.e.,
problems requiring diagnostic skills, tools, or expertise not available
at secondary level)
o Support end users via phone, via e-mail, through interactive online
methods, and in person for access to computing resources, central
computing services and desktop computing
o Analyze user needs to make hardware, software and configuration
recommendations to systems administrators and the end-user community
o Sanitize computers for surplusing
o imaging and deployment of new computer hardware.
o Provide desktop support for NI&S
workstations as directed by Manage and/or Team Lead.
Apply patches/upgrades to OS and applications software.
Install and repair system hardware. Install and manage application
software such as Oracle client, Microsoft Office Suite. Configure, manage and
troubleshoot network services. Troubleshoot diagnose and repair system
problems. Document system configurations and changes. Document computer
location and user assignment.
- Mar 31, 2017 Administrative Assistant The administrative assistant for Technology-enhanced Learning and Online Strategies, a unit of Information Technology, reports to the business manager. This position performs a variety of duties including secretarial assistance to the executive director, department receptionist, CNS liaison, receives department orders and processes paperwork, schedules and manages department events, and back up for the fiscal technician.
- Mar 27, 2017 Log Archiving and Analysis Specialist This position will provide operational support for the Log Archiving and Analysis service within Network Infrastructure and Services. The position will perform day-to-day tasks of maintenance, problem resolution, and changes to software of the service. The software stack includes Elasticsearch, Logstash, Kibana, and Kafka. This position will be the primary contact for operational issues with the application software of the service.
Mar 16, 2017
-Responsible for all phases of the procurement process in accordance with state laws, the Purchasing Manual for Institutions of Higher Education and their Vendors as well as university policies and procedures, while ensuring that all purchases are performed accurately and timely.
-Solicits and issues contracts for a wide variety of Information Technology goods and services as requested by university departments utilizing a variety of complex procurement methods.
-Performs research and analysis to identify potential strategic contract opportunities.
-Employs best business practices to assist IT procurement office with continuously improving performance, compliance, efficiency and effectiveness.
-Provides training and assistance to university departments in requirements necessary to support sole source justification, purchase of software licenses, and purchase of IT goods and services.
Mar 16, 2017
Sr. Dir. of Universal Design and Accessible Tech
Technology-enhanced Learning and Online Strategies (TLOS), part of Virginia TechGÇÖs Division of Information Technology, seeks a Senior Director of Universal Design and Accessible Technologies to lead its Assistive Technologies unit. Reporting to the Executive Director and Associate Provost of TLOS, the Senior Director of Universal Design and Accessible Technologies will provide campus leadership in creating and supporting technology-enhanced learning environments based on inclusive designs and accessible technologies that recognize all usersGÇÖ unique abilities and skills.
Responsibilities of the Senior Director of Universal Design and Accessible Technologies include but are not limited to:
- Direction of the Assistive Technologies unit
- Coordination across all TLOS units to incorporate universal design approach and align the organization with best practices
- Collaboration with partner organizations to help them meet or exceed University, State, and Federal ADA/accessibility standards
- Promotion, support, and/or coordination of assistive technologies for ADA and Section 504 accommodations for students, faculty, staff, and guests in consultation with ADA and Accessibility Services and/or Services for Students with Disabilities
- Assistive technologies research and development
- Assistive technologies planning and support for student, faculty, and staff access to AT software and hardware
- Consultation with appropriate offices to provide updates, current research and practices, and recommendations regarding implementation of Assistive Technologies
Mar 15, 2017
Computer Systems Administrator
Computer systems administration with strong emphasis on storage administration that supports High Performance and research computing through interactions with the Advanced Research Computing groupGÇÖs Computational Scientists and faculty researchers across campus.
To provide system administration and application support to assure the reliability, availability, functionality and security of GPFS storage cluster and other related systems. Responsibilities include developing or enhancing software tools or scripts to assist in systems administration, and performance monitoring. Maintain and develop security tools/utilities for forecasting, responding and detecting internet attacks. Lead efforts to isolate and determine causes of system problems that may be complex in nature. Provide technical consulting to IT staff, and university community and assist in solving extraordinary user problems
Mar 07, 2017
IT Project Manager
Enterprise Systems (ES) is unit within the Division of Information Technology at Virginia Tech. Enterprise Systems supports the mission of the university by developing, coordinating, and managing application software systems that provide critical information services for university constituents.
The IT Project Manager (ITPM) is a vital member of a small team of project management professionals responsible for coordinating and managing information technology projects according to plan within the agreed scope, budget, and timeline defined by project sponsors.
The ITPM is a public relations ambassador for projects who can build consensus, facilitate understanding and project success, and negotiate solutions and alternatives for achieving project success. The ITPM for Enterprise Systems provides leadership and direction for a diverse portfolio of projects that span administrative and strategic initiatives of Virginia Tech.
The IT Project Manager works with university departments and organizations, technical team members, vendors, senior leadership and others to provide planning and project management services during all phases of projects.
A key, critical responsibility of the ITPM is communication and promoting collaboration across the constituencies of a project. Higher education projects are typically collaborative initiatives with matrixed participation where influence without direct authority is essential.
The ITPM will be responsible for defining and communicating project success; assembling project plans; identifying and driving issues and risk resolution; building and managing key relationships; facilitating project meetings; providing periodic status reporting; identifying and managing dependencies (project and cross-project); and performing proactive scope management and change control processes.
The ITPM must provide effective communications across complex relationships and ensure that project management is effectively adopted and facilitated across functional organizations, technical units, and vendor partnerships.
The ITPM ensures that projects follow Virginia TechGÇÖs standards for IT projects and are managed in accordance with industry best practices.
- Feb 27, 2017 SysOps Engineer The SysOps Engineer provides information technology support and administration for the Virginia Cyber Range and reports to the Network Architect. The successful candidate will have demonstrated knowledge and experience working with all aspects of system and networking administration, including but not limited to provisioning, installation/configuring, operation, and maintenance of both the systems and application stacks on infrastructure in a cloud-based environment. The SysOps Engineer will be primarily responsible for executing, testing, and rolling-out solutions to support the infrastructure of the Virginia Cyber Range, as well as infrastructure for individual exercises and scenarios in the Cloud. The SysOps Engineer is responsible for user account management and device management within the infrastructure, in addition to other duties as assigned.
- Feb 15, 2017 Web Software Developer Network Infrastructure and Services provides network, wireless, public safety, voice, and cable TV services for the faculty, staff and students at Virginia Tech. NI&S is looking for intrinsically motivated individuals to be part of an Agile team that utilizes test-driven design to build applications using modern technologies. Applications developed will need to integrate with existing departmental systems, databases, and directories, using a combination of web services, messaging, and direct SQL/LDAP access.