Information Technology at Virginia Tech is an organization that serves the university community and the citizens of the Commonwealth of Virginia by applying and integrating information resources to enhance and support instruction, teaching and learning; to participate in, support and enhance research; to foster outreach, develop partnerships with communities, and promote the capabilities of advanced networking and communications; and to provide, secure and maintain systems allowing the university to accomplish its missions.
The Office of Information Technology and CIO at Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Job opportunities with Information Technology at Virginia Tech
Sep 18, 2017
Chief Objective of Position:
- Sep 15, 2017 SysOps Engineer The SysOps Engineer position provides information technology support and administration for the Virginia Cyber Range. The successful candidate will have demonstrated knowledge and experience working with all aspects of system and networking administration, including but not limited to provisioning, installation/configuring, operation, and maintenance of both the systems and application stacks on infrastructure in a virtualized environment. The SysOps Engineer will be part of the Ops team primarily responsible for executing, testing, and rolling-out solutions to support the infrastructure of the Virginia Cyber Range, as well as infrastructure for individual exercises and scenarios in the Cloud. The SysOps Engineer is responsible for user account management and device management within the infrastructure, in addition to other duties as assigned.
Sep 15, 2017
IT Support Technician II
The position is a member of the team-oriented FASTR/User Engagement group within IT Experience & Engagement (ITE-¦). The Faculty and Staff Technology Resources unit (FASTR), is responsible for a portfolio of services including: Tier 3 support service for distributed IT groups in the VT community; 24x7 VIP services; Desktop Support teams; a large computer procurement and distribution program; and ensuring surplus of electronic equipment is disposed of securely.
o Provides accurate solutions to reported problems employing advanced
knowledge of desktop computing operating systems and applications,
network connectivity and Division of IT provided software
applications and services
o Uses appropriate diagnostic tools to solve or escalate reported symptoms
o Escalates problems to application/service area when appropriate (i.e.,
problems requiring diagnostic skills, tools, or expertise not available
at secondary level)
o Support end users via phone, via e-mail, through interactive online
methods, and in person for access to computing resources, central
computing services and desktop computing
o Analyze user needs to make hardware, software and configuration
recommendations to systems administrators and the end-user community
o Sanitize computers for surplusing
o Imaging and deployment of new computer hardware.
o Provide desktop support in assigned areas as directed by Associate Director and/or Team Lead.
o Apply patches/upgrades to OS and applications software.
o Install and repair system hardware. Install and manage application software such as Oracle client, Microsoft Office Suite.
o Configure, manage and
troubleshoot network services.
o Troubleshoot diagnose and repair system
o Document system configurations and changes.
o Document computer location and user assignment.
o Window system administration
o Applications administration eg: BigFix, Bomgar, MDM
- Sep 15, 2017 Cloud Engineer I The Middleware Cloud Engineer position is a junior level position that will assist in creating, implementing, and managing the technical operation of cloud technology solutions for enterprise applications. Training in AWS and cloud technologies will be provided GÇô the successful person should be a capable system administrator with enthusiasm for learning and desire to understand and develop expertise in cloud technologies, platforms and applications.
Sep 13, 2017
Video Platforms Application Administrator
Reporting to the Senior Director, Learning Systems, the successful candidate will act as a member of the Technology-enhanced Learning and Online Strategies (TLOS) Learning Systems team. TLOS, a division of Virginia Tech Information Technology, is responsible for the technology infrastructure used at Virginia Tech for various systems related to teaching and learning. These systems include, but are not limited to our Learning Management System, our Student Perceptions of Teaching (SPOT) survey system , our Networked Learning Initiatives system, our Blogging Platform, and our multi-media systems for Video Conferencing, Lecture Capture, and Video Content Management. It is expected that this tool portfolio will grow and change over the next several years.
The candidate will be the primary technical expert for our multi-media platforms. This person will help us choose future platforms as we grow and change - helping us to plan our strategy. Further she/he will own the baselines for GÇ£video-enabled classroomsGÇ¥ setting the standards for others to follow and ensuring sound technology choices are made. Our hire will help us integrate video into other teaching and learning systems. The successful candidate will be our application administrator GÇô doing configuration, setup, and Tier 3 support for our video systems. The job requires both a base of technical knowledge of systems, along with the ability to understand how the applications are used and skills in communicating this to the rest of the department.
- Performs both routine and project based application administration duties on teaching and learning systems related to video and audio content.
- Owns and manages baseline configuration for video-enabled classrooms. Plans video strategy working with the leadership team in TLOS.
- Understands, tests, and select both audio and video related equipment to keep us in line with current industry best practices. Also monitors video streams and troubleshoots problems anywhere in the video life-cycle, working with external partners when necessary.
- Works collaboratively with other teams within TLOS (support, quality assurance, trainers, instructional designers) to meet project goals and organizational objectives.
- -¡Works with the TLOS Development team to put development projects into pilot and production stages. Helps design workflows related to audio/video file processing that can be translated into code/systems.
- -¡Handles escalated support tickets that require someone with deep systems knowledge to be involved (this is Tier 3 support GÇô after both the VT help desk and the TLOS support personnel have already reviewed the incident).
- Acts as a backup for our general purpose application administrator that supports systems beyond video/audio specific ones.
Sep 12, 2017
Front-End Web Developer
The successful candidate will apply specialized knowledge and concepts to the completion of assigned projects to meet the needs and requirements of the Virginia Cyber Range. Projects will involve development and elaboration of a web UI for a cloud-based deployment, using a microservices backend. Responsibilities will range from working independently on multiple complex projects to serving as a technical consultant or a leader of projects. Collaborates effectively with team members to ensure success of projects and systems.
The successful candidate must have the ability to communicate well, have a strong work ethic and organization skills to work independently with minimal supervision, able to adapt quickly to changing requirements
- Sep 05, 2017 Computational Scientist Advanced Research Computing manages Virginia TechGÇÖs state-of-the-art high-performance computing (HPC) infrastructure that serves the research community, including a 300+ node cluster equipped with Intel Xeon Phi co-processors and a 200+ node cluster equipped with multiple GPUs per node. The Computational Scientist will interact regularly with students and faculty to provide both basic and advanced training and devise computational strategies to advance a wide range of research projects. The Computational Scientist will teach, develop, and contribute to training sessions and workshops as well as semester-length courses dedicated to topics in parallel computing. The Computational Scientist will also interface with HPC system administrators to coordinate tasks such as HPC software installation and system configuration in addition to benchmarking, testing, and optimization of new HPC hardware.
Aug 23, 2017
The Operations Analyst is a key member of the User Engagement team supporting data management, reporting, problem resolution and work force management. The position designs and conducts data and metrics analysis to support the functions of a continuous 365 day, 24x7 support center operation including planning schedules and ensuring coverage is adequate for operations. The Operations Analyst collects data from multiple sources and provides forecasting and real-time feedback to the management team and to department leadership. This position is responsible for providing operational input into strategic planning and supporting the continuous improvement of support center operations. In addition, this position will recommend and implement operational improvements as well as ensure adherence to operational practices and procedures. This position also acts as a shift lead, providing shift leadership for agents in the support center, including activities such as serving as a point of escalation and knowledge expert, ensuring agents have what they need to effectively execute their duties, and further escalating issues or questions as needed.
Applicants are required to include a sample operations report that you would write after a significant I.T. systems failure, to summarize the event and make recommendations for improved support center operations in the event of a similar failure.
Virginia Tech is unable to sponsor applicants for work visas for this vacancy.
Aug 16, 2017
Coordinator of Program Evaluation
Technology-enhanced Learning and Online Strategies (TLOS), part of Virginia TechGÇÖs Division of Information Technology, seeks a coordinator of program evaluation to develop and implement policies and practices that foster a culture of continuous assessment within the organization. Reporting to the TLOS Deputy Executive Director, the successful candidate will coordinate internal evaluation and assessment activities across all of TLOSGÇÖs groups using a mixed-methods, data-driven approach. The coordinator will collaborate closely with senior directors, program coordinators, and project managers to understand TLOSGÇÖs mission, align the organizationGÇÖs daily work with that mission, and facilitate meetings and reporting activities for internal and external stakeholders. The successful candidate will also serve as the assessment coordinator for the 4-VA Collaborative, a joint venture involving Virginia Tech and other universities in the commonwealth. As a member of the 4-VA professional staff, this individual will assist in the implementation of assessment activities in institutional-level projects. The successful candidate will coordinate plans, strategies, and methods for the assessment of the 4-VA initiatives (collaborative research, course redesign, course sharing, and degree completion).
The coordinator of program evaluation will be expected to adjust his or her focus to align with the current needs of the organization. At minimum, however, the successful candidate will assume the following responsibilities:
- Employ quantitative and qualitative methods of research and analysis to advance a data-informed approach to provisioning and improving TLOS programs and services.
- Identify tools and practices that can be used consistently across all groups within TLOS and improve their effectiveness through promotion, training, and policy-making.
- Work with TLOSGÇÖs technical communicators to produce annual reports and other public-facing materials that document TLOSGÇÖs work.
- Lead program-related data collection efforts for TLOS and 4-VA initiatives; assist with the collection and analysis of data for other university-supported initiatives.
- Create, share, and customize research designs and assessment resources for use by 4-VA institutions.
- Serve as an evaluation consultant for projects funded by 4-VA at Virginia Tech and other 4-VA institutions.
- Lead efforts to develop and share the 4-VA Collaborative narrative via formal reports, online stories, data visualizations, and other means.
- Aug 09, 2017 Distance Learning Technician Provides first level technical and operational support for statewide videoconference network and electronic classrooms in the production of distance learning programs. Diagnose and facilitate/solve connection failures, audio/video failures, and other problems related to equipment malfunction at the terminal level.
Jun 23, 2017
Computer Systems Administrator
Computer systems administration with strong emphasis on storage administration that supports High Performance and research computing through interactions with the Advanced Research Computing groupGÇÖs Computational Scientists and faculty researchers across campus.
To provide system administration and application support to assure the reliability, availability, functionality and security of GPFS storage cluster and other related systems. Responsibilities include developing or enhancing software tools or scripts to assist in systems administration, and performance monitoring. Maintain and develop security tools/utilities for forecasting, responding and detecting internet attacks. Lead efforts to isolate and determine causes of system problems that may be complex in nature. Provide technical consulting to IT staff, and university community and assist in solving extraordinary user problems
Jun 23, 2017
HPC System Engineer
Virginia Tech has built state-of-the-art high-performance computing (HPC) infrastructure to serve its academic and research community. HPC System Engineer is a newly created position at Advanced Research Computing (ARC), a unit of Information Technology. The HPC systems engineer will work in concert with computational scientists at ARC and with servers, storage and networking team members to advance HPC infrastructure, help develop web and cloud services for VT researchers, and maximize the productive use of HPC and visualization systems, both on campus as well as at federally-funded national centers and cloud-based commercial providers. The successful candidate will investigate emerging technologies in operation of research computing, storage and networking. They will help develop web-based portal, visualization tools, and implement private and hybrid cloud technologies for increased productivity and collaboration. Ability to undertake complex system integration projects, develop systems tools, and use system performance metrics in problem resolution and efficient use of production systems will be helpful. The successful candidates will have the ability to understand and translate HPC software and infrastructure requirements from the research community into developing effective solutions.
The qualified candidates will have the knowledge of high performance computing environments and scientific tools and software. The candidates will have a strong background in the Linux operating system, programming languages (C,C++,Java), and scripting languages (Bash, Python). The ideal candidate will have familiarity with or experience in virtualization techniques and cloud computing best practices including network and data security.
Jun 23, 2017
Lead Application Analyst
Enterprise Systems (ES) is a unit within the Division of Information Technology at Virginia Tech. Enterprise Systems supports the mission of the university by developing, coordinating, and managing application software systems that provide critical information services for university constituents. The Finance Applications team within Enterprise Systems is seeking a motivated individual interested in supervising a team of application analysts that use technology to solve business problems within a dynamic evolving technical environment.
The Lead Application Analyst for Accounts Receivable responsibilities include:
- Provide supervision and leadership to team of application analysts ensuring timely delivery and accurate results.
- Elicit functional requirements using a variety of techniques and tools such as interviews, requirements workshops, business process descriptions, use cases, task and workflow analysis. Interpret customer business needs using analytical skills combined with technical expertise to create system requirements and technical specifications.
- Work as part of a team to implement, maintain, support, and enhance integrations between our primary ERP system Ellucian Banner, vendor purchased ancillary systems (both locally hosted and cloud based), locally developed systems, and external entities.
- Provide technical support to campus administrative offices for ES supported systems.
- Strive to understand business processes and be able to apply this understanding to operational improvement initiatives
- Communicate effectively with a broad range of users about information technology issues.
- Create and maintain accurate documentation.
Virginia Tech is unable to sponsor applicants for work visas for this vacancy.