Information Technology at Virginia Tech is an organization that serves the university community and the citizens of the Commonwealth of Virginia by applying and integrating information resources to enhance and support instruction, teaching and learning; to participate in, support and enhance research; to foster outreach, develop partnerships with communities, and promote the capabilities of advanced networking and communications; and to provide, secure and maintain systems allowing the university to accomplish its missions.
The Office of Information Technology and CIO at Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Job opportunities with Information Technology at Virginia Tech
Feb 02, 2017
Network Infrastructure and Services (NI&S) provides network, communications, public safety, cable television, and data center services for the faculty, staff and students at Virginia Tech. NI&S is looking for intrinsically motivated individuals to be part of an Agile development team that utilizes test-driven design to build rich internet (web) applications using modern browser-side MVC frameworks and Java EE. Applications developed will need to integrate with existing departmental systems, databases, and directories, using a combination of web services, messaging, and direct SQL/LDAP access.
The successful candidate will work with a team of software developers, engineers, system and application administrators to design and build solutions to support Virginia Tech's emergency notification system (VT Alerts).
Jan 31, 2017
HPC System Engineer
Virginia Tech has built state-of-the-art high-performance computing (HPC) infrastructure to serve its academic and research community. HPC System Engineer is a newly created position at Advanced Research Computing (ARC), a unit of Information Technology. The HPC systems engineer will work in concert with computational scientists at ARC and with servers, storage and networking team members to advance HPC infrastructure, help develop web and cloud services for VT researchers, and maximize the productive use of HPC and visualization systems, both on campus as well as at federally-funded national centers and cloud-based commercial providers. The successful candidate will investigate emerging technologies in operation of research computing, storage and networking. They will help develop web-based portal, visualization tools, and implement private and hybrid cloud technologies for increased productivity and collaboration. Ability to undertake complex system integration projects, develop systems tools, and use system performance metrics in problem resolution and efficient use of production systems will be helpful. The successful candidates will have the ability to understand and translate HPC software and infrastructure requirements from the research community into developing effective solutions.
The qualified candidates will have the knowledge of high performance computing environments and scientific tools and software. The candidates will have a strong background in the Linux operating system, programming languages (C,C++,Java), and scripting languages (Bash, Python). The ideal candidate will have familiarity with or experience in virtualization techniques and cloud computing best practices including network and data security.
Jan 14, 2017
Enterprise Systems (ES) is unit within the Division of Information Technology at Virginia Tech. Enterprise Systems supports the mission of the university by developing, coordinating, and managing application software systems that provide critical information services for university constituents. Three teams within ES (Finance Applications, Academic Applications, and Business Applications and Integration Services) are seeking motivated individuals interested in using technology to solve business problems within a dynamic evolving technical environment.
The Application Analyst responsibilities include:
- Work as part of a team to implement, maintain, support, and enhance integrations between our primary ERP system Ellucian Banner, vendor purchased ancillary systems (both locally hosted and cloud based), locally developed systems, and external entities.
- Provide technical support to campus administrative offices for ES supported systems.
- Strive to understand business processes and be able to apply this understanding to operational improvement initiatives
- Communicate effectively with a broad range of users about information technology issues.
- Create and maintain accurate documentation.
- Jan 05, 2017 DevOps Software Engineer Develop software and assist in the analysis, design and development of agile deployment processes that will enable applications to run both on premises and in the cloud. Participate in project initiatives that evaluate new technologies and assist with the planning and integration of these technologies into university business processes. Provide technical assistance as needed to insure successful implementation of these technologies.
Dec 20, 2016
Manager, Student Programs
The Manager of Student Programs participates in providing strategic planning, leadership, supervision, coordination and direction to the ITE2 User Engagement Student Programs that is consistent with the instructional, research and outreach mission of Virginia Tech and its constituents. The position is a member of the team-oriented User Engagement group within IT Experience & Engagement (ITE-¦).
Leads and Manages Student Programs:
- Oversees the planning, budgeting, management, operations, documentation, marketing, communications, training, and data collection and analysis of ITE-¦ Student Programs, which consist of New Student Orientation (NSO), Get Connected (GC) programs and other student initiatives within ITE-¦.
- Works with others in ITE-¦ to provide technical solutions when needed to improve the effectiveness of Student Programs.
- Collaborates with, and presents information to, a variety of groups including partners in information technology, business partners (such as the University Bookstore, academic advisors, and others), students and their families, orientation leaders, and staff.
- Collaborates on student employment opportunities and partnerships within the Division of Information Technology, and across the university
- Performs interviewing, hiring, mentorship, administrative tasks and supervision of NSO, GC and other student-staffed initiatives in coordination with IT User Engagement goals.
Dec 16, 2016
As a member of the Network Engineering and Operations (NeO) team, the Network Engineer will assist in the design, implementation, management, operations, optimization and troubleshooting of Virginia Tech residential, campus and research networks and associated services. Virginia Tech networks utilize multiple vendor routing, switching, and wireless technologies. The campus core and border is comprised of a sophisticated MPLS architecture that serves as the high speed backbone for network services that meet the operational, academic, social, and research needs of over 33,000 students and 8,000 faculty/staff. The position reports to the NeO operations manager and works closely with other members of NeO and often interacts with other programs within Virginia TechGÇÖs Network Infrastructure and Services (NI&S) team and other units of the University. NI&S is a dynamic and exciting organization with a commitment to continuous improvement and is seeking an enthusiastic and motivated person fill this role.
Although not limited to the following, the positionGÇÖs responsibilities will include:
- Assist in day-to-day operational activities necessary for deployment, maintenance and management of networking systems and technologies including equipment installation, configuration changes and software updates.
- Provide technical support to monitor, troubleshoot, debug and resolve complex network issues including routing, switching, wireless and other network services.
- Assist in the development of integration tools and configuration management strategies to expedite service provisioning, problem resolution and configuration changes.
- Investigate, resolve and document security, copyright infringement and other incidents using incident management applications and other network management tools and applications.
- Perform research and evaluation of pertinent solutions, processes, features and technologies. Promote potential solutions to senior engineers and management.
- Develop, produce, and review documentation, instructional, and procedural manuals for other employees to utilize to resolve problems or make improvements.
- Expand on relevant skill sets by actively participating in approved professional development opportunities such as training sessions and conferences.
- The position will require participation in an on-call 24/7 rotation.
Dec 12, 2016
IT Project Manager
Enterprise Systems (ES) is unit within the Division of Information Technology at Virginia Tech. Enterprise Systems supports the mission of the university by developing, coordinating, and managing application software systems that provide critical information services for university constituents.
The IT Project Manager (ITPM) is a vital member of a small team of project management professionals responsible for coordinating and managing information technology projects according to plan within the agreed scope, budget, and timeline defined by project sponsors.
The ITPM is a public relations ambassador for projects who can build consensus, facilitate understanding and project success, and negotiate solutions and alternatives for achieving project success. The ITPM for Enterprise Systems provides leadership and direction for a diverse portfolio of projects that span administrative and strategic initiatives of Virginia Tech.
The IT Project Manager works with university departments and organizations, technical team members, vendors, senior leadership and others to provide planning and project management services during all phases of projects.
A key, critical responsibility of the ITPM is communication and promoting collaboration across the constituencies of a project. Higher education projects are typically collaborative initiatives with matrixed participation where influence without direct authority is essential.
The ITPM will be responsible for defining and communicating project success; assembling project plans; identifying and driving issues and risk resolution; building and managing key relationships; facilitating project meetings; providing periodic status reporting; identifying and managing dependencies (project and cross-project); and performing proactive scope management and change control processes.
The ITPM must provide effective communications across complex relationships and ensure that project management is effectively adopted and facilitated across functional organizations, technical units, and vendor partnerships.
The ITPM ensures that projects follow Virginia TechGÇÖs standards for IT projects and are managed in accordance with industry best practices.
- Dec 05, 2016 Information Center Agent Working in a call center focused on resolving computer user problems , an Information Center Agent communicates with stakeholders using a telephone and/or electronic means, determines what service is needed, and enters the pertinent service information into a computerized ticketing system, and resolves common problems, and escalated more difficult problems. Stakeholder satisfaction is at the forefront of our goals. Our stakeholders include, but are not limited to, students, staff, faculty, internal and external associates, peers, colleagues and community members
- Dec 05, 2016 Information Center Agent Working in a call center focused on resolving computer user problems, a Information Center Agent communicates with stakeholders using a telephone and/or electronic means, determines what service is needed, and enters the pertinent service information into a computerized ticketing system, and resolves common problems, and escalated more difficult problems. Stakeholder satisfaction is at the forefront of our goals. Our stakeholders include, but are not limited to, students, staff, faculty, internal and external associates, peers, colleagues and community members.
- Dec 02, 2016 Distance Learning Technician This position is part of Distance Learning Classroom Support group within Technology-enhanced Learning and Online Strategies (TLOS), a division of Virginia TechGÇÖs Information Technology department. The group provides first level technical and operational support for the Technology-enhanced and virtual classrooms used for distance learning programs. The group diagnoses, facilitates, and resolves connection and audio/video failures and other problems related to equipment, software, and network malfunction in an originating or receiving classroom location. The distance learning technician will regularly collaborate with students, faculty, staff, and other groups within TLOS to facilitate distance learning at Virginia Tech.
Nov 30, 2016
Cloud Application Developer
The successful candidate will Apply specialized knowledge, concepts, practices, policies and procedures to the completion of projects ranging from simple to complex with the goal of completing projects to meet the needs and requirements of the Virginia Cyber Range. Work will require contact with users, managers, and other IT staff. Responsibilities will range from working independently on multiple complex projects to serving as a technical consultant or a leader of projects, typically with deadlines and heavy workloads. May provide consultation and advice on major implementations ensuring that services are available and accessible. Collaborates effectively with team members to ensure success of projects and systems.
The successful candidate will have the ability to keep detailed records for job status in the ticketing and change management system. The successful candidate must have the ability to communicate and interact with diverse clientele, a strong work ethic and organization skills to work independently with minimal supervision and adapt quickly to changing computer environments.
- Nov 21, 2016 Web Software Developer Network Infrastructure and Services provides network, wireless, public safety, voice, and cable TV services for the faculty, staff and students at Virginia Tech. NI&S is looking for intrinsically motivated individuals to be part of an Agile team that utilizes test-driven design to build applications using modern technologies. Applications developed will need to integrate with existing departmental systems, databases, and directories, using a combination of web services, messaging, and direct SQL/LDAP access.
Nov 18, 2016
Collaborative Computing Solutions (CCS) provides highly-available virtualized environments supporting faculty and staff systems, services, research and collaboration at Virginia Tech.
This position has the following responsibilities
-Design and plan improvements to CCS virtualized environments to support compliance requirements, performance optimization, security and scalability
-Configure, deploy, and manage on premise and cloud based network infrastructure components, including firewalls, switches, VPNs, host servers, and storage systems
-Provision and maintain Windows and Linux operating systems, including server setup, installation, administration, security and customer support
-Configure and manage Microsoft SQL Server installations
-Monitor and analyze the security status of the environments utilizing Microsoft System Center applications and log analytics
-Diagnosis, troubleshoot, and consult with guest owners of virtualized systems to resolve issues