Information Technology at Virginia Tech is an organization that serves the university community and the citizens of the Commonwealth of Virginia by applying and integrating information resources to enhance and support instruction, teaching and learning; to participate in, support and enhance research; to foster outreach, develop partnerships with communities, and promote the capabilities of advanced networking and communications; and to provide, secure and maintain systems allowing the university to accomplish its missions.
The Office of Information Technology and CIO at Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Job opportunities with Information Technology at Virginia Tech
Mar 27, 2017
Business Intelligence Support Analyst
The Business Intelligence Support Analyst will have a direct and significant impact on the success of numerous projects involved in the effort to build an integrated business intelligence platform. The individual will administer business intelligence applications, develop technical solutions, and become fluent in the business intelligence technologies utilized by the University.
The BI Support Analyst must be able to work cooperatively in a cross-team environment as well as independently manage project tasks; accept responsibility for mission critical systems; meet deadlines; and be able to respond to ever changing business needs and technology to meet the general goals of the university. The person will participate directly in automating processes for efficiency, designing and implementing reports and dashboards, testing data and reports, and troubleshooting issues.
This position requires a combination of strong user-facing skills and an understanding of both business needs and the underlying technologies to support them, preferably in a higher education environment. The BI Support Analyst will follow and provide input on policies supporting coding standards, code promotion, report development, and other technical standards as they apply. This team member will interact with business, data, and information technology personnel to complete BI requests.
- Mar 27, 2017 Log Archiving and Analysis Specialist This position will provide operational support for the Log Archiving and Analysis service within Network Infrastructure and Services. The position will perform day-to-day tasks of maintenance, problem resolution, and changes to software of the service. The software stack includes Elasticsearch, Logstash, Kibana, and Kafka. This position will be the primary contact for operational issues with the application software of the service.
Mar 16, 2017
Sr. Dir. of Universal Design and Accessible Tech
Technology-enhanced Learning and Online Strategies (TLOS), part of Virginia TechGÇÖs Division of Information Technology, seeks a Senior Director of Universal Design and Accessible Technologies to lead its Assistive Technologies unit. Reporting to the Executive Director and Associate Provost of TLOS, the Senior Director of Universal Design and Accessible Technologies will provide campus leadership in creating and supporting technology-enhanced learning environments based on inclusive designs and accessible technologies that recognize all usersGÇÖ unique abilities and skills.
Responsibilities of the Senior Director of Universal Design and Accessible Technologies include but are not limited to:
- Direction of the Assistive Technologies unit
- Coordination across all TLOS units to incorporate universal design approach and align the organization with best practices
- Collaboration with partner organizations to help them meet or exceed University, State, and Federal ADA/accessibility standards
- Promotion, support, and/or coordination of assistive technologies for ADA and Section 504 accommodations for students, faculty, staff, and guests in consultation with ADA and Accessibility Services and/or Services for Students with Disabilities
- Assistive technologies research and development
- Assistive technologies planning and support for student, faculty, and staff access to AT software and hardware
- Consultation with appropriate offices to provide updates, current research and practices, and recommendations regarding implementation of Assistive Technologies
Mar 16, 2017
-Responsible for all phases of the procurement process in accordance with state laws, the Purchasing Manual for Institutions of Higher Education and their Vendors as well as university policies and procedures, while ensuring that all purchases are performed accurately and timely.
-Solicits and issues contracts for a wide variety of Information Technology goods and services as requested by university departments utilizing a variety of complex procurement methods.
-Performs research and analysis to identify potential strategic contract opportunities.
-Employs best business practices to assist IT procurement office with continuously improving performance, compliance, efficiency and effectiveness.
-Provides training and assistance to university departments in requirements necessary to support sole source justification, purchase of software licenses, and purchase of IT goods and services.
Mar 15, 2017
Computer Systems Administrator
Computer systems administration with strong emphasis on storage administration that supports High Performance and research computing through interactions with the Advanced Research Computing groupGÇÖs Computational Scientists and faculty researchers across campus.
To provide system administration and application support to assure the reliability, availability, functionality and security of GPFS storage cluster and other related systems. Responsibilities include developing or enhancing software tools or scripts to assist in systems administration, and performance monitoring. Maintain and develop security tools/utilities for forecasting, responding and detecting internet attacks. Lead efforts to isolate and determine causes of system problems that may be complex in nature. Provide technical consulting to IT staff, and university community and assist in solving extraordinary user problems
Mar 07, 2017
IT Project Manager
Enterprise Systems (ES) is unit within the Division of Information Technology at Virginia Tech. Enterprise Systems supports the mission of the university by developing, coordinating, and managing application software systems that provide critical information services for university constituents.
The IT Project Manager (ITPM) is a vital member of a small team of project management professionals responsible for coordinating and managing information technology projects according to plan within the agreed scope, budget, and timeline defined by project sponsors.
The ITPM is a public relations ambassador for projects who can build consensus, facilitate understanding and project success, and negotiate solutions and alternatives for achieving project success. The ITPM for Enterprise Systems provides leadership and direction for a diverse portfolio of projects that span administrative and strategic initiatives of Virginia Tech.
The IT Project Manager works with university departments and organizations, technical team members, vendors, senior leadership and others to provide planning and project management services during all phases of projects.
A key, critical responsibility of the ITPM is communication and promoting collaboration across the constituencies of a project. Higher education projects are typically collaborative initiatives with matrixed participation where influence without direct authority is essential.
The ITPM will be responsible for defining and communicating project success; assembling project plans; identifying and driving issues and risk resolution; building and managing key relationships; facilitating project meetings; providing periodic status reporting; identifying and managing dependencies (project and cross-project); and performing proactive scope management and change control processes.
The ITPM must provide effective communications across complex relationships and ensure that project management is effectively adopted and facilitated across functional organizations, technical units, and vendor partnerships.
The ITPM ensures that projects follow Virginia TechGÇÖs standards for IT projects and are managed in accordance with industry best practices.
- Feb 27, 2017 SysOps Engineer The SysOps Engineer provides information technology support and administration for the Virginia Cyber Range and reports to the Network Architect. The successful candidate will have demonstrated knowledge and experience working with all aspects of system and networking administration, including but not limited to provisioning, installation/configuring, operation, and maintenance of both the systems and application stacks on infrastructure in a cloud-based environment. The SysOps Engineer will be primarily responsible for executing, testing, and rolling-out solutions to support the infrastructure of the Virginia Cyber Range, as well as infrastructure for individual exercises and scenarios in the Cloud. The SysOps Engineer is responsible for user account management and device management within the infrastructure, in addition to other duties as assigned.
- Feb 23, 2017 Distance Learning Technician Provides first level technical and operational support for statewide videoconference network and electronic classrooms in the production of distance learning programs. Diagnose and facilitate/solve connection failures, audio/video failures, and other problems related to equipment malfunction at the terminal level.
- Feb 15, 2017 Web Software Developer Network Infrastructure and Services provides network, wireless, public safety, voice, and cable TV services for the faculty, staff and students at Virginia Tech. NI&S is looking for intrinsically motivated individuals to be part of an Agile team that utilizes test-driven design to build applications using modern technologies. Applications developed will need to integrate with existing departmental systems, databases, and directories, using a combination of web services, messaging, and direct SQL/LDAP access.
Feb 02, 2017
Network Infrastructure and Services (NI&S) provides network, communications, public safety, cable television, and data center services for the faculty, staff and students at Virginia Tech. NI&S is looking for intrinsically motivated individuals to be part of an Agile development team that utilizes test-driven design to build rich internet (web) applications using modern browser-side MVC frameworks and Java EE. Applications developed will need to integrate with existing departmental systems, databases, and directories, using a combination of web services, messaging, and direct SQL/LDAP access.
The successful candidate will work with a team of software developers, engineers, system and application administrators to design and build solutions to support Virginia Tech's emergency notification system (VT Alerts).
Jan 14, 2017
Enterprise Systems (ES) is unit within the Division of Information Technology at Virginia Tech. Enterprise Systems supports the mission of the university by developing, coordinating, and managing application software systems that provide critical information services for university constituents. Three teams within ES (Finance Applications, Academic Applications, and Business Applications and Integration Services) are seeking motivated individuals interested in using technology to solve business problems within a dynamic evolving technical environment.
The Application Analyst responsibilities include:
- Work as part of a team to implement, maintain, support, and enhance integrations between our primary ERP system Ellucian Banner, vendor purchased ancillary systems (both locally hosted and cloud based), locally developed systems, and external entities.
- Provide technical support to campus administrative offices for ES supported systems.
- Strive to understand business processes and be able to apply this understanding to operational improvement initiatives
- Communicate effectively with a broad range of users about information technology issues.
- Create and maintain accurate documentation.
- Jan 05, 2017 DevOps Software Engineer Develop software and assist in the analysis, design and development of agile deployment processes that will enable applications to run both on premises and in the cloud. Participate in project initiatives that evaluate new technologies and assist with the planning and integration of these technologies into university business processes. Provide technical assistance as needed to insure successful implementation of these technologies.
Sep 02, 2016
The Solutions Engineer works with many stakeholders to craft a vision for advances in data center infrastructure. This leadership role focuses on developing a strategic direction for current and future Virginia Tech data centers and disaster recovery sites, in the context of other areas of Information Technology and in the context of a research university.
- Focus on data center and disaster recovery infrastructure and services with an understanding of the relationships between communications and storage, computing, software, and architectural infrastructure components
- Understand the environment at Virginia Tech and how this will drive future Information Technology needs
- Evaluate alternative technologies and architectures (Enterprise, Research Computing, etc.)
- Develop a vision of technological direction and form strategies to achieve this vision
- Promote ideas both within the department, within the Information Technology community of Virginia Tech, and the greater community
- Oversee architecture and design activities related to the development of Information Technology infrastructure especially with respect to data center and disaster recovery infrastructure
- Remain well versed in industry accepted standard solutions to Information Technology problems
- Understand how new research may apply to the future of Information Technology and its relation to Virginia Tech
- Promote the use of well-known solutions to Information Technology problems where they exist and otherwise direct the development of new solutions
- Manage the risk associated with future Information Technology solutions balanced against the opportunity of these solutions
- Provide direction for Information Technology projects related to the data center and disaster recovery infrastructures
The Data Center Solutions Engineer understands and applies the universityGÇÖs goals; advises key decision makers on the interaction of Information Technology and university policy; promotes vision and use of Information Technology within the university and the research community; and orchestrates specific Information Technology projects related to data center and disaster recovery site infrastructures.