We constantly monitor our services and their related components. If there is ever a service interruption, a notification will be posted to the System Status. If you are experiencing problems not listed on the System Status, you can submit a request for service.
IT News @ Virginia Tech
- Sep 19, 2017 Find and connect to university services on Virginia Tech's OneCampus site This is a notice introducing OneCampus to the Faculty/Staff population
- Sep 07, 2017 Virginia Tech collaboration with colleges and universities allows Virginia Cyber Range to thrive Launched in July 2016, the program offers a virtual environment where students can participate in immersive laboratory exercises that complement their cybersecurity courses.
- Aug 31, 2017 FCC grants streamlined request process for experimental radio licenses on Virginia Tech Blacksburg campus Campus notice regarding streamlined FCC license procurement for researchers on campus.
- Jul 29, 2016 Virginia Tech to spearhead $19.4 million effort to build new software institute dedicated to molecular, chemical computational modeling The university will lead a new initiative to build a national team of software scientists to design and build new, powerful software tools, in what will be called the Molecular Sciences Software Institute.
- Jul 19, 2016 Outdoor Wi-Fi now available between Peddrew-Yates and Pritchard residence halls There is a new exterior wireless access point across the large outdoor area between the residence halls where the university's only solar-powered table is located.
- Jun 30, 2016 Virginia Tech and the National Science Foundation provide cybersecurity training for high school teachers The Information Technology Security Office and the Bradley Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering are hosting the GenCyber Teacher’s camp for 20 high school teachers from across the country.
IT Maintenance Events
- CODE: Debugging the Gender Gap Join us on February 7th for “CODE: Debugging the Gender Gap” a documentary exploring the role of women and minorities in data science and STEM. After the movie, Lauren States leads a panel of software developers and engineers including Jessica Self, Racheida Lewis, Ashima Athri, and Mary Martin in discussing issues of gender and race in today’s technology fields.
- Virginia Cyber Range Working with eight other public institutions of higher education across Virginia, Virginia Tech is leading an effort to create a state-of-the-art platform for cybersecurity education. The Virginia Cyber Range will provide advanced cybersecurity training exercises for high-school and college students, revolutionize cybersecurity education within the commonwealth, and position Virginia to become a leading source of critical cybersecurity expertise for the nation.
- Summit Summit, Virginia Tech’s new research proposal management system, simplifies the development and internal submission of research proposals for faculty and research administrators. The system includes a suite of new tools that will improve sponsored research administration at Virginia Tech.
- Advisory Council In June, the IT Advisory Council, comprised of 12 Division employees, was formed to help the Division of IT become more effective, user-centered, and fully committed to enhancing the missions of Virginia Tech. The council will gather observations and experiences from all over the Division - what’s working, what needs to be improved; and then help to translate that information into plans for action.
- Helping faculty make the switch to Canvas To help faculty make the switch from Scholar to Canvas, TLOS is offering a range of resources including classes, one-on-one canvas consultations, and detailed guides and instructions. The Destination: Canvas campaign will continue through the summer and fall to help connect teaching faculty with the resources they need to get started. Scholar will be decommissioned at the end of the spring 2017 semester.
- 2-Factor Authentication becomes mandatory July 4! 2-Factor Authentication will become mandatory for all students, faculty, and staff at Virginia Tech on July 4th, 2016. If you have not yet enrolled, please take a few minutes to do so!
- Eduroam wireless network service at Virginia Tech Virginia Tech students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to use the eduroam wireless (WiFi) network, which also enables internet access at participating universities and institutions.
- David Duckett recognized for outstanding leadership In recognition of his strength as a leader, David Duckett has received the university's 2016 McComas Staff Leadership Award, which honors the significant leadership contribution of staff members employed at Virginia Tech for at least one year.
IT Events Calendar
- Oct 05, 2017 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM 1120 Torgersen Hall Brown Bag Lunch with the Deputy CIO Bring a bring lunch, or just stop by to talk. This is an informal opportunity to discuss topics that may be of interest to you, and help gauge how things are going from your perspective. We live in a dynamic time of change for VT and within the Division, but this is our new norm. It is important that we keep the conversation going & the solutions flowing. Scot Ransbottom is planning to hold similar sessions 3 or 4 times per year across campus.
- Oct 19, 2017 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM AISB 113 Brown Bag Lunch with the Deputy CIO Bring a bring lunch, or just stop by to talk. This is an informal opportunity to discuss topics that may be of interest to you, and help gauge how things are going from your perspective. We live in a dynamic time of change for VT and within the Division, but this is our new norm. It is important that we keep the conversation going & the solutions flowing. Scot Ransbottom is planning to hold similar sessions 3 or 4 times per year across campus.
- Oct 29, 2017 12:00 AM - 12:00 AM MABUG Conference Virginia Tech is proud to host the Mid Atlantic Banner Users Group (MABUG) conference October 29-31, 2017 More information to follow
- Oct 30, 2017 12:00 AM - 12:00 AM MABUG Conference Virginia Tech is proud to host the Mid Atlantic Banner Users Group (MABUG) conference October 29-31, 2017 More information to follow
- Open letter to faculty on migration to Canvas
- Notices for the Graduates asked to unsubscribe from VT Alerts
- iPads, MacBooks, laptops, cameras, and more available for checkout at Newman Library
- BT4U mobile app provides real-time bus information
- Beware of VT Alerts phishing scam
- Learning Experience Design provides course design assistance during Canvas migrations
- All employees have unlimited access to software, design, and business skill tutorials via lynda.com
- Download LiveSafe app to stay safe and informed
- Email 'phishing' reminder
- Important safety information about university telephones
- Accessibility improvements made to interactive campus map
- Enroll in 2-Factor Authentication before it becomes mandatory July 4