We constantly monitor our services and their related components. If there is ever a service interruption, a notification will be posted to the System Status. If you are experiencing problems not listed on the System Status, you can submit a request for service.
- Hokie Wellness financial wellness series for employees offers sessions this summer
- Water main break in Cheatham Hall reported
- Hokie women come to campus for weekend of connection, community
- Roberta S. Russell appointed head of business information technology
- Virginia Tech Alumni Association to host reunion weekend in June 2018
- Virginia Tech researcher part of $14 million NSF program for improved genomic tools
- Robert Jacks named director of academic advising for the College of Architecture and Urban Studies
- Virginia Tech researchers study the relationship between the indoor environment and health
- Lance Matheson receives national honor for his work in international business education
- A flag once again flies on Virginia Tech’s Lane Hall
IT Maintenance Events
IT News @ Virginia Tech
- Jul 11, 2017 Software and hardware procurement services updated Soon, paper forms will no longer be needed, and all software license details will be maintained in one easily accessed location.
- Jun 26, 2017 Virginia Tech’s Bradley Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering hosts cybersecurity camp for high school teachers The department will host two GenCyber teacher camps for 50 high school teachers from across the country for the second year.
- Feb 22, 2017 Virginia Cyber Range names Amazon Web Services as preferred partner AWS will join the Commonwealth of Virginia and Virginia Tech to support scalable cloud infrastructure and collaborate on cybersecurity educational efforts, enabling the Cyber Range with both content and a closed network for hands-on exercises, competitions, and other simulations.
- Feb 01, 2017 Documentary, panel discussion about women and minorities in STEM and computing set for Feb. 7 Virginia Tech is hosting a public screening of “CODE: Debugging the Gender Gap,” on Feb. 7. CODE is a documentary that explores the history of women and minorities in the field of computer science and discusses the benefits, challenges, and struggles of underrepresented groups in the STEM fields.
- Dec 21, 2016 Downtown Blacksburg’s GoGig service joins eduroam wireless network A collaboration between Virginia Tech and GoGig has resulted in the merging of the Wi-Fi network in downtown Blacksburg with the international eduroam network.
- Oct 25, 2016 Aras Memisyazici appointed network architect for the Virginia Cyber Range In his new position, Memisyazici will define needs and develop technical strategy for the Virginia Cyber Range, a newly formed virtual center aimed at creating a state-of-the-art platform for cybersecurity education in Virginia.
- Sep 21, 2016 Virginia Cyber Range to enhance cybersecurity education across the commonwealth The initiative will provide advanced cybersecurity training exercises for high school and college students, positioning Virginia to become a leading source of critical cybersecurity expertise for the nation.
- Sep 13, 2016 Enhancing national security by making intelligence software smarter The Discovery Analytics Center and a Virginia-based defense company are working together on software that can predict and adapt to an intelligence analyst's needs.
- Sep 08, 2016 New lab to help establish databases to improve nuclear reactor safety, design The lab, to be built in Randolph Hall, will help nuclear engineers develop and test databases to enable engineers to design safer, more-efficient reactors.
- Sep 01, 2016 Virginia Tech reveals $75 million plan to emphasize intelligent infrastructure More than 80 faculty members from multiple colleges and institutes are involved in the initiative, as the university ties new assets into existing programs and research facilities.
- Aug 18, 2016 Virginia Tech’s new data repository helps researchers share data The easier data is to evaluate and reuse, the simpler it is for researchers to verify others’ results and understand what has already been tested in their fields. Open data repositories allow researchers to spend less time pursuing false leads and more time creating new knowledge.
- Aug 17, 2016 New academic offerings at Virginia Tech for the 2016-17 year The university has exciting new offerings for students in the 2016-17 academic year, including programs, curriculum revisions, resources, and spaces.
- Aug 16, 2016 New Virginia Tech building opens, providing students with state-of-the-art learning spaces The classrooms have features that include moveable furnishings, wall-mounted writing spaces, and multiple screens for projecting shared material and student work.
- Aug 08, 2016 Major process improvements at Virginia Tech advance speed and success of research proposals Summit is the university's customized solution for research administration processes. It is expected that the new system will enable faculty to improve the quality of submitted proposals and shorten the time required to prepare them.
- Jul 29, 2016 Virginia Tech to spearhead $19.4 million effort to build new software institute dedicated to molecular, chemical computational modeling The university will lead a new initiative to build a national team of software scientists to design and build new, powerful software tools, in what will be called the Molecular Sciences Software Institute.
IT Events Calendar
- Jul 27, 2017 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM AISB 113 Brown Bag Lunch with the Deputy CIO Bring a lunch, or just stop by to talk. This is an informal opportunity to discuss topics that may be of interest to you, and help gauge how things are going from your perspective. We live in a dynamic time of change for VT and within the Division, but this is our new norm. It is important that we keep the conversation going & the solutions flowing. Scot Ransbottom is planning to hold similar sessions 3 or 4 times per year across campus.
- Aug 12, 2017 9:15 AM - 5:00 PM Torgersen Hall NRV Container Day This one-day event is designed to help you get up and running with Docker. Come in knowing nothing and leave knowing what it takes to run containerized applications. If you bring an app, we can even help containerize it!
- Aug 17, 2017 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM Torgersen Hall 3080 BreakIT Coffee Break Join members of the IT Advisory Council for a cuppa! Drop in event with coffee, donuts, and good conversation with council members and your fellow co-workers in the Division.
- Sep 13, 2017 12:00 AM - 12:00 AM Common Solutions Group (CSG) Fall 2017 Meeting The Fall 2017 CSG Workshops and Meeting will be held at Virginia Tech on 13-15 September 2017. Meeting content will include sessions on Campus Safety and Security, and Big Data Analytic Tools and AI's impact on higher education.
- Open letter to faculty on migration to Canvas
- Notices for the Graduates asked to unsubscribe from VT Alerts
- iPads, MacBooks, laptops, cameras, and more available for checkout at Newman Library
- BT4U mobile app provides real-time bus information
- Beware of VT Alerts phishing scam
- Learning Experience Design provides course design assistance during Canvas migrations
- All employees have unlimited access to software, design, and business skill tutorials via lynda.com
- Download LiveSafe app to stay safe and informed
- Email 'phishing' reminder
- Important safety information about university telephones
- Accessibility improvements made to interactive campus map
- Enroll in 2-Factor Authentication before it becomes mandatory July 4