Information Technology Job Opportunities
Information Technology at Virginia Tech is an organization that serves the university community and the citizens of the Commonwealth of Virginia by applying and integrating information resources to enhance and support instruction, teaching and learning; to participate in, support and enhance research; to foster outreach, develop partnerships with communities, and promote the capabilities of advanced networking and communications; and to provide, secure and maintain systems allowing the university to accomplish its missions.
The Office of Information Technology and CIO at Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Job opportunities with Information Technology at Virginia Tech
Jul 22, 2019
Chief of Staff, Division of IT
The Chief of Staff of Virginia TechGÇÖs Division of Information Technology reports to the Vice President for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer (VPIT&CIO) and is a key member of the divisionGÇÖs senior leadership team. S/he serves a critical strategic and operational role in information technology across Virginia Tech and beyond. The Chief of Staff coordinates and facilitates collaboration and cross-functional strategic and operational initiatives within the division, coordinates and communicates with key stakeholders and partners in other units across the university and within the Commonwealth of Virginia, and is responsible for operations and administration within the VPIT&CIOGÇÖs office.
The Chief of Staff works with the VPIT&CIO and other division leaders as a trusted advisor to develop strategic and tactical directions for common processes and procedures across the Division of IT. S/he is a leads and facilitates process improvements and transformations to improve how we operate and collaborate. The Chief of Staff plays a critical role in maintaining, analyzing, and communicating an overall view of key cross-functional strategic and operational initiatives, especially those driven by the Division of ITGÇÖs strategic and operational plans. The Chief of Staff is, also, an important senior leader in modeling and advocating for the Division of ITGÇÖs core values of trust, care, inclusion, service, and striving for excellence.
The Chief of Staff builds and maintains trusted relationships with stakeholders and partners across the university. S/he coordinates IT-related activities that have a broad impact on the university and the Division of IT. The Chief of Staff ensures that IT-related activities that support university leadership are assigned to the correct offices and are effectively accomplished. S/he communicates with the Virginia Information Technology Authority (VITA) and other Commonwealth of Virginia agencies and offices. S/he coordinates, prepares, and makes available a variety of important reports to the university and VITA.
The Chief of Staff is responsible for central operations and administrative functions for the Division of IT including functions that the VPIT&CIO may delegate. Several units report to the Chief of Staff including business and fiscal operations for the Division of Information Technology, information technology procurement and licensing, IT planning and project management, and human resources operations. S/he plays a key role in ensuring that appropriate processes, procedures, and policies are in place and used across the Division of IT and seeks continuous improvement in the administration and operation of the divisionGÇÖs central functions.
- Jul 22, 2019 Manager, Identity Management Customer Support The Identity Management Customer Support (IMCS) Manager provides management and leadership services to the IMCS team, participates in the leadership team for the Secure Identity Services (SIS) department, and ensures the highest quality IMCS services for the Virginia Tech community in general. Coaches the IMCS staff on university procedures and best practices for Identity and Access Management, coordinates team training and personnel development, and ensures internal and external documentation is created and maintained. Manages key services, business processes, and may serve as the functional owner for some applications. Contributes to the improvement of SIS services and maintains feedback and collaboration mechanisms with the other units in SIS and the Division of IT as a whole. Participates alongside the IMCS staff in providing escalated customer service, fulfilling requests, troubleshooting and resolving user access issues, conducting audits, and removing access in accordance with University policy.
Jul 22, 2019
The Enterprise Content Management System (CMS) is a multi-tiered Java web application on a Linux platform, with load balancing, web cacheing, application, network storage and database components.
The CMS Administrator is primarily responsible for the CMS platform, and the associated supporting systems and infrastructure. This includes installation, maintenance, security, availability, scalability, backup and recovery, monitoring, problem resolution, and technical user support in a multi-tiered 24x7 environment. The successful candidate will have experience operating and troubleshooting similar applications, and the desire to work with the team to continuously improve the CMS platform.
Jul 22, 2019
The Communications Specialist will drive internal communications, public relations strategy, and news writing for the Division of Information Technology. The specialist will develop and implement communications plans to inform stakeholders; elevate priority areas of impact in research, service, and technology development; and collaborate with units and working groups to identify and craft messages for both internal and external audiences. Skill in uncovering and crafting compelling stories, sharing the social benefits of complex technological advancements, and cultivating relationships with journalists and media are important in this role. The specialist will work to enhance and evaluate the divisionGÇÖs web presence and marketing efforts, direct social media efforts, and maintain content on multiple communications platforms. Reporting to the Director of Communications for the Division of IT, the specialist will oversee division websites and create content that communicates our vision and achievements in service to Virginia Tech.
The ability to collaborate responsively and build strong relationships with a variety of stakeholders, departmental partners, and clients is very important in this role. The ability to provide creative direction and constructive feedback on projects is essential. The specialist will establish and maintain a calendar of regular updates and notices; support the development of the DivisionGÇÖs annual reports; manage social media accounts; help plan and support university-wide initiatives including conferences, workshops, and seminars; and support the leadership team, service owners, and others with their public-facing communications. In addition, the specialist will work to align messaging with our strategic plan and core values, as well as university branding and strategic objectives. A strong commitment to producing timely, accurate, and engaging content is key. Applicants should include three examples of work that demonstrate writing skill and showcase a diverse portfolio of video, photo, design, or social media content.
Jul 22, 2019
Network Infrastructure and Services (NI&S) is part of the Division of Information Technology at Virginia Tech. We provide advanced network, communications, public safety, cable television, and data center services. We design, deploy and operate enterprise scale, high-performance computing and communications networks. NI&S is a dynamic and exciting organization with a commitment to continuous improvement and is seeking an enthusiastic and motivated person to fill this role. We provide the infrastructure and platforms to enable numerous services and teams across the university. Come build with us!
The Solutions Architect position is vital to ensuring robust design and successful implementation of complex computing systems in support of NI&S and Virginia Tech information technology initiatives. The successful candidate will have a strong systems engineering background with demonstrated ability to lead end-to-end computing infrastructure design efforts, including architecting key elements of the solution, evaluating technical options, and leading cross-functional teams towards a final solution while keeping all of the organization's key stakeholders apprised. This person will possess the technical understanding and astuteness to analyze requests quickly, identify pivotal technical elements, and work with cross-functional teams and our partners to craft winning solutions. The architect will bring a solutions-oriented perspective with the agility and insight to explore and evaluate multiple solutions options while ensuring progress towards identified goals. This person will be adept at connecting people (from individuals up through departments) who may otherwise operate in isolation, and enabling personnel to look at the enterprise as a whole to measure alignment to business processes and standards. In addition, this role will be responsible for translating program/project strategies and business goals into detailed requirements, designing and driving the development of solutions to meet customer and business needs, and scoping and prioritizing activities based on business and customer impact.
Jul 12, 2019
Network Infrastructure and Services (NI&S) is part of the Division of Information Technology at Virginia Tech. We provide advanced network, communications, public safety, cable television, and data center services. We design, deploy and operate enterprise scale, high-performance computing and communications networks. NI&S is a dynamic and exciting organization with a commitment to continuous improvement and is seeking an enthusiastic and motivated person to fill this role.
As a member of our Systems Operations team, you will contribute to the design, implementation, and operation of Virginia TechGÇÖs centralized compute and storage services. We provide operational support for servers and storage that host Virginia Tech administrative, research computing, and support applications. Our solution scope ranges from high performance parallel file systems and compute clusters to high-availability virtual infrastructure to flexible and secure cloud resources. Systems team members participate in the provisioning, installation, configuration, operation, and maintenance phases of in-house and cloud based applications. We provide the infrastructure and platforms to enable numerous services and teams across the university. Come build with us!
Members of our team will have an opportunity to learn and grow in an environment where all members of the team are expected to:
- Provide Linux systems administration and other routine operational tasks
- Provide support to enterprise computing resources, supporting services, and applications
- Develop, enhance, and maintain tools or scripts to assist in provisioning, administration, and performance monitoring
- Utilize knowledge, assets, and resources to participate in project planning to develop solutions that meet business requirements
- Contribute to complex aspects of team projects
- Learn new technologies and skill sets, including infrastructure automation, advanced storage solutions, high performance computing administration, and cloud infrastructure
- Utilize existing policies, processes and best practices to ensure operational excellence and efficient workflow
- Create and maintain up-to-date documentation of services and functions
- Be self-motivators with the capacity to work independently with minimal supervision as well as in a team environment
Jul 02, 2019
The primary responsibility of this position will be to support the development, maintenance, management, and upgrades of the enterprise web content management system (Adobe Experience Manager) and email solution (Adobe Campaign Standard). In addition, there are various other custom applications that support these two platforms and this position will continue to maintain and improve those applications.
Adobe Experience Manager (AEM) is the web content management system at Virginia Tech with over 500 separate sites and delivering key university web sites such as vt.edu and vtnews.vt.edu. There are numerous custom AEM components and integrations with other systems.
Adobe Campaign Standard (ACS) is currently the email marketing platform that sends out daily mail for university employees and a monthly email that reaches over 200k contacts. There are other groups on campus ready to use this system and will need support in creating and managing ACS elements for their email campaigns.
A successful candidate will meet the requirements and be able to provide support for end users, communicate effectively with stakeholders, and develop features and integrations between the platforms and other applications at Virginia Tech.
Jun 28, 2019
The Communications Coordinator will provide essential tracking and support for communications efforts in the Division of Information Technology. The coordinator will work to enhance the departmentGÇÖs web presence, support social media efforts, and develop/schedule content for both internal and external communications frameworks. Reporting to the Director of Communications for the Division of IT, the coordinator will assist with event planning, news writing, and service-related documentation, creating content that aligns with division objectives in service to Virginia Tech.
The coordinator will advance updates and notices, support the development of the DivisionGÇÖs annual report, provide content and support for social media accounts, support university-wide initiatives including conferences, workshops, and seminars, and assist the leadership team, service owners, and others with their public-facing communications. In addition, the coordinator will work to develop and refine strategy for service communication plans, and contribute to ongoing communication efforts and alignment of messaging with our strategic plan and core values.
Jun 26, 2019
IT Support Technician II
The position is a member of the team-oriented FASTR/User Engagement group within IT Experience & Engagement (ITE-¦). The Faculty and Staff Technology Resources unit (FASTR), is responsible for a portfolio of services including: Tier 3 support service for distributed IT groups in the VT community; 24+ù7 VIP services; Desktop Support teams; a large computer procurement and distribution program; and ensuring surplus of electronic equipment is disposed of securely.
- Provides accurate solutions to reported problems employing advanced
knowledge of desktop computing operating systems and applications,
network connectivity and Division of IT provided software applications and services.
-Uses appropriate diagnostic tools to solve or escalate reported symptoms.
-Escalates problems to application/service area when appropriate (i.e.,
problems requiring diagnostic skills, tools, or expertise not available at secondary level).
- Support end users via phone, via e-mail, through interactive online methods, and in person for access to computing resources, central computing services and desktop computing.
-Analyze user needs to make hardware, software and configuration recommendations to systems administrators and the end-user community.
- Sanitize computers for surplusing.
- Imaging and deployment of new computer hardware.
- Provide desktop support in assigned areas as directed by Associate Director and/or Team Lead.
- Apply patches/upgrades to OS and applications software.
- Install and repair system hardware. Install and manage application software such as Oracle client, Microsoft Office Suite.
- Configure, manage and troubleshoot network services.
- Troubleshoot diagnose and repair system
- Document system configurations and changes.
- Document computer location and user assignment.
- Window system administration.
- Applications administration eg: Bomgar, Symantec Endpoint Protection
- Jun 24, 2019 Identity and Access Management Business Analyst The Identity and Access Management (IAM) Business Analyst reports to the Director of Identity Architecture and Technology within Secure Identity Services (SIS). The IAM Business Analyst is responsible for working with stakeholders to capture requirements and feature requests that drive IAM implementations, partnering with test engineers and developers to define behavior-driven development feature files, and ensuring the alignment of SIS services with business needs and security and policy controls. The IAM Business Analyst will play a critical role in the implementation and support of access control systems, will provide escalated support and subject matter expertise in support of the Identity Management Customer Support team as well as other customers, and will maintain service, process, and product documentation.
- Jun 18, 2019 Communications Systems Engineer NI&S is a dynamic service organization with a commitment to continuous improvement and is seeking an enthusiastic, talented and driven person to fill this role. As a member of the Communications Systems team, the Communications Systems Engineer will assist in the support, management, operations, optimization and troubleshooting of Virginia Tech campus, Roanoke campus, and National Capital Region unified and emergency communications systems and associated services, including for compliance. These include the Virginia Tech data network and core VoIP telephony system, which connects the campus, as well as off campus departments, and offices across the Commonwealth of Virginia, to more than 10,000 user endpoints. The emergency notification system VT Alerts provides timely notifications to the university at scale through a variety of on and off premise channels and the Virginia Tech Video Surveillance system provides live and accurate data to university first responders, enabling real time support in case of emergencies.
- Jun 11, 2019 Distance Learning Technician Provides first level technical and operational support for statewide videoconference network and electronic classrooms in the production of distance learning programs. Diagnose and facilitate/solve connection failures, audio/video failures, and other problems related to equipment malfunction at the terminal level.
May 28, 2019
The Virginia Cyber Range is an agile, fast-paced group that uses modern software development methods, persistent stakeholder outreach, and creative problem-solving to provide educational resources for the next generation of cybersecurity experts, first in Virginia, and then nationwide.
As the Operations Manager for the Virginia Cyber Range, you will have both internal and external responsibilities, ranging from business management to administration and human capital. The Operations Manager will partner closely with the Director to focus on developing business processes to support a service center that will provide cyber range services to customers external to our primary constituency.
The Operations Manager will work with other staff to develop efficient business and administrative procedures within the organization for functions such as payroll, budgeting, procurement, inventory and equipment tracking, software license tracking, travel, and event planning. You will oversee and supervise execution of administrative and business processes across the organization to ensure efficient, effective execution and assist where necessary. You will organize and coordinate operations in ways that ensure maximum productivity and best customer experience, and assist in recruiting and hiring personnel for positions within the organization.