Information Technology at Virginia Tech is an organization that serves the university community and the citizens of the Commonwealth of Virginia by applying and integrating information resources to enhance and support instruction, teaching and learning; to participate in, support and enhance research; to foster outreach, develop partnerships with communities, and promote the capabilities of advanced networking and communications; and to provide, secure and maintain systems allowing the university to accomplish its missions.
The Office of Information Technology and CIO at Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Job opportunities with Information Technology at Virginia Tech
- Dec 06, 2017 Warehouse Specialist Assist warehouse staff in receiving, storing and issuing materials, equipment and supplies; perform manual labor; delivers materials, equipment and supplies to designated locations.
- Dec 04, 2017 Customer Service Representative Ensures the prompt and complete handling of customer service requests and account inquiries. Provides front-line customer service for departments, students, and non-student private customers. Helps maintain accuracy of on-line billing data for approximately 9,000 residence hall students and 25,000 off-campus students. Contributes to the development and distribution of all correspondence and publicity for the Student Network Services (SNS) Office. Participates in on-campus student fairs, open houses, summer orientations and other applicable student events. Creates, organizes, manages and maintains electronic and paper files for the SNS Office.
Dec 04, 2017
The Media Manager provides highest-level engineering, technical and operational support for professional audio and video for education, educational events, as well as internal and external events related to Learning Experience Design/TLOS and University activities and needs.
Manages media engineering projects, camera and technical directing, camera operation and design support for multimedia production and facilities including the integration of video and audio systems with digital networking and live streaming web delivery systems for Learning Experience Design/TLOS. Manages work processes to configure equipment to integrate with existing systems and develops systems when necessary to accomplish the desired outcome for clients.
Manages the media production/distribution facility by independently analyzing, scheduling, and performing facility preventive maintenance, including the management of an inventory of equipment with depreciation schedule as well as inventory of necessary parts to facilitate repair and upgrades. Ensures that needed parts and supplies are identified and procured in a timely manner.
- Nov 28, 2017 Web Application Administrator II The position provides web server and application administration, enterprise systems maintenance, and technical user support in a multi-tiered 24x7 environment. The Web Application Administrator is responsible for lifecycle administration including installation, upgrades, patches and maintenance for application software. The position works as part of a team for the development, implementation, and ongoing support of enterprise application software systems. The Web Application Administrator diagnoses, troubleshoots, consults, and resolves problems with complex systems in an enterprise multi-tier environment. The position is responsible for ensuring the availability, scalability, and backup and recovery of enterprise systems. The Web Application Administrator develops implements, and maintains appropriate monitoring to ensure high system availability and maximum performance and security for critical enterprise systems, as well as developing and/or coding software for operating systems and system utilities to assist in the support of the environment.
Nov 27, 2017
Director of Secure Identity Services
The Director leads the Secure Identity Services (SIS) unit within the Division of Information Technology. SIS develops enterprise-level secure identity, authentication and access management solutions; provides and supports the universityGÇÖs identity and access management (IAM) infrastructure; and provides related services to users and organizations across Virginia Tech. This leadership position reports to the universityGÇÖs Vice President for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer and provides vision and strategic direction for managing and advancing the universityGÇÖs online identities and their use in accessing university services and information. This position is particularly important as the university grows in size and complexity, engages in new partnerships in Virginia and around the globe, and works to better leverage its data while maintaining security and privacy.
The Director of Secure Identity Services:
- Oversees units that provide development, testing, and production support of the universityGÇÖs identity and access management and authentication systems;
- Provides leadership and inspiration to teams that create and support enterprise-level software solutions and serves as a role model to inspire attitudes of excellent customer service, professionalism, creativity, and dedication to supporting the universityGÇÖs mission;
- Explores initiatives to improve security and usability of the identity and access management environment, and sponsors projects to implement selected initiatives;
- Communicates effectively with stakeholders and collaborates with other departments and universities to promote and provide secure identity, authentication and access management solutions;
- Ensures that enterprise development projects are executed in a manner that preserves or enhances core functionality while assuring system and data security and individual privacy;
- Maintains awareness of security and privacy practices, emerging technologies, government and industry standards, and software development practices used to provide secure, reliable system implementations;
- Builds and maintains strategic partnerships and positive and effective service relationships with stakeholder groups including customer organizations, higher education institutions, industry partners, and administrative and academic university officials;
- Provides leadership in formulating policies, standards, and procedures to secure the universityGÇÖs identity information resources; and
- Engages in national and international initiatives and collaborations to advance Virginia TechGÇÖs capabilities and effectiveness.
- Nov 21, 2017 SysOps Engineer The SysOps Engineer position provides information technology support and administration for the Virginia Cyber Range. The successful candidate will have demonstrated knowledge and experience working with all aspects of system and networking administration, including but not limited to provisioning, installation/configuring, operation, and maintenance of both the systems and application stacks on infrastructure in a virtualized environment. The SysOps Engineer will be part of the Ops team primarily responsible for executing, testing, and rolling-out solutions to support the infrastructure of the Virginia Cyber Range, as well as infrastructure for individual exercises and scenarios in the Cloud. The SysOps Engineer is responsible for user account management and device management within the infrastructure, in addition to other duties as assigned.
- Nov 14, 2017 Distance Learning Technician Provides first level technical and operational support for statewide videoconference network and electronic classrooms in the production of distance learning programs. Diagnose and facilitate/solve connection failures, audio/video failures, and other problems related to equipment malfunction at the terminal level.
Nov 10, 2017
Enterprise Systems (ES) is a unit within the Division of Information Technology at Virginia Tech. Enterprise Systems supports the mission of the university by developing, coordinating, and managing application software systems that provide critical information services for university constituents. Business Application and Integration Services is seeking motivated individuals interested in using technology to solve business problems within a dynamic evolving technical environment.
The Web Developer responsibilities include:
- Work as part of a team to implement, maintain, support, and enhance integrations between our primary ERP system Ellucian Banner, Blackbaud CRM, Blackbaud Internet Services, Adobe Experience Manager, Adobe Campaign, other vendor purchased ancillary systems (both locally hosted and cloud based), locally developed systems, and external entities.
- Provide technical support to campus administrative offices for ES supported systems.
- Strive to understand business processes and be able to apply this understanding to operational improvement initiatives
- Communicate effectively with a broad range of users about information technology issues.
- Create and maintain accurate documentation.
Nov 03, 2017
Coordinator of Online Services, Projects and Data Management
Learning Experience Design (LED), the instructional design and course development unit of Technology-enhanced Learning and Online Strategies (TLOS) is seeking a Coordinator of Online Services, Projects and Data Management.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Learning Experience Design, the Coordinator of Online Services, Projects and Data Management will serve as the central point of contact for service providers for online courses and programs to either provide information or referral to entities related to the services and support. This position will also coordinate regular meetings and serve as liaison for program coordinators for online courses and programs in the colleges and departments of the University.
In addition, the position will provide coordination of project management for initiatives related to online programs and courses including but not limited to course quality assurance review cycles, faculty certification options and cycles, and funding option requests for proposals, review and fund distribution.
This position will be responsible for coordinating the data collection and managing data associated with online services and support provided by Technology-enhanced Learning and Online Strategies as well as data management for developing initiatives for course design and assessment of course design and development projects.
As a member of the Learning Experience Design team, the Coordinator of Online Services, Projects and Data Management will contribute to and coordinate data from the course design and development projects conducted by the team.
- Serving as the central point of contact for information and/or referral to entities to providing services and support for online programs and courses.
- Coordination of meetings and liaison to program coordinators for online programs in University Colleges and Departments.
- Coordination of processes, communication and documentation related to funding proposals and awards of funds for support of online course and program development
- Collection and management of data related to online course and program development initiatives including assessment of design and development projects.
- Compiling data and information for reports and inquiries regarding online services, support, funding awards, projects and initiatives.
- Tracking progress of projects within area of responsibility and reporting progress to project managers and supervisors.
- Contributing to the work of the team designing and developing online courses and programs.
Oct 25, 2017
IT Project Manager
Enterprise Systems (ES) is unit within the Division of Information Technology at Virginia Tech. Enterprise Systems supports the mission of the university by developing, coordinating, and managing application software systems that provide critical information services for university constituents. The IT Project Manager (ITPM) is a vital member of a small team of project management professionals responsible for coordinating and managing information technology projects according to plan within the agreed scope, budget, and timeline defined by project sponsors. The ITPM is a public relations ambassador for projects who can build consensus, facilitate understanding and project success, and negotiate solutions and alternatives for achieving project success. The ITPM for Enterprise Systems provides leadership and direction for a diverse portfolio of projects that span administrative and strategic initiatives of Virginia Tech. The IT Project Manager works with university departments and organizations, technical team members, vendors, senior leadership and others to provide planning and project management services during all phases of projects. A key, critical responsibility of the ITPM is communication and promoting collaboration across the constituencies of a project. Higher education projects are typically collaborative initiatives with matrixed participation where influence without direct authority is essential. The ITPM will be responsible for defining and communicating project success; assembling project plans; identifying and driving issues and risk resolution; building and managing key relationships; facilitating project meetings; providing periodic status reporting; identifying and managing dependencies (project and cross-project); and performing proactive scope management and change control processes. The ITPM must provide effective communications across complex relationships and ensure that project management is effectively adopted and facilitated across functional organizations, technical units, and vendor partnerships. The ITPM ensures that projects follow Virginia Tech's standards for IT projects and are managed in accordance with industry best practices.
Virginia Tech is unable to sponsor applicants for work visas for this vacancy.
Oct 11, 2017
Junior Web Application Developer
Oct 09, 2017
Chief Objective of Position:
Jun 23, 2017
HPC System Engineer
Virginia Tech has built state-of-the-art high-performance computing (HPC) infrastructure to serve its academic and research community. HPC System Engineer is a newly created position at Advanced Research Computing (ARC), a unit of Information Technology. The HPC systems engineer will work in concert with computational scientists at ARC and with servers, storage and networking team members to advance HPC infrastructure, help develop web and cloud services for VT researchers, and maximize the productive use of HPC and visualization systems, both on campus as well as at federally-funded national centers and cloud-based commercial providers. The successful candidate will investigate emerging technologies in operation of research computing, storage and networking. They will help develop web-based portal, visualization tools, and implement private and hybrid cloud technologies for increased productivity and collaboration. Ability to undertake complex system integration projects, develop systems tools, and use system performance metrics in problem resolution and efficient use of production systems will be helpful. The successful candidates will have the ability to understand and translate HPC software and infrastructure requirements from the research community into developing effective solutions.
The qualified candidates will have the knowledge of high performance computing environments and scientific tools and software. The candidates will have a strong background in the Linux operating system, programming languages (C,C++,Java), and scripting languages (Bash, Python). The ideal candidate will have familiarity with or experience in virtualization techniques and cloud computing best practices including network and data security.