Information Technology at Virginia Tech is an organization that serves the university community and the citizens of the Commonwealth of Virginia by applying and integrating information resources to enhance and support instruction, teaching and learning; to participate in, support and enhance research; to foster outreach, develop partnerships with communities, and promote the capabilities of advanced networking and communications; and to provide, secure and maintain systems allowing the university to accomplish its missions.
The Office of Information Technology and CIO at Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Job opportunities with Information Technology at Virginia Tech
Apr 02, 2018
Human Resources Generalist
The Division of Information Technology is made up of over 400 employees, split between nine departments. Human Resources for the Division of Information Technology plays an integral role to all Division-wide initiatives, recruitment, staffing, and employee relations.
The Human Resources team within the Division of Information Technology is looking for a driven, experienced individual who can offer support, guidance, and leadership. This position will directly report to the Division Human Resource Manager. The Human Resources Generalist will provide coaching and guidance to employees and managers on a variety of Human Resource issues and programs, including employee engagement and performance management. In addition, a successful candidate will help to establish and implement programs and initiatives that provide proactive support and interventions to promote effective leadership, enhance the University culture, organizational brand and support or sustain organizational growth and development.
Responsibilities also include:
- Work collaboratively with the Human Resources team and management to define standard operating procedures and best practices
- Assist with developing and implementing programs that increase employee commitment and fosters a climate of trust and accountability within the Division.
- Understand, apply, and follow University and State policies
- Seek opportunities for creating
- Support Human Resources Manager of the Division of Information Technology
Mar 23, 2018
Executive Director of Secure Identity Services
The Division of Information Technology at Virginia Tech, seeks an experienced, talented and driven leader for the Secure Identity Services unit.
Secure Identity Services develops enterprise-level secure identity authentication and access management solutions; provides and supports the universityGÇÖs identity and access management (IAM) infrastructure; and provides related services to users and organizations across Virginia Tech.
The Executive Director for Secure Identity Services provides strategic leadership and direction for managing and advancing the universityGÇÖs online identities and their use in accessing university services and information. This position reports to the universityGÇÖs Vice President for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer which reports directly to the universityGÇÖs President. The Executive Director of SIS fills a vital role as Virginia Tech grows in complexity and engages in new partnerships across Virginia and around the globe, and as the institution works to better leverage its data while maintaining security and privacy.
- Oversees units that provide development, testing, and production support of the universityGÇÖs identity and access management and authentication systems;
- Provides leadership and inspiration to teams that create and support enterprise-level software solutions and serves as a role model to inspire attitudes of excellent customer service, professionalism, creativity, and dedication to supporting the universityGÇÖs mission;
- Explores initiatives to improve security and usability of the identity and access management environment, and sponsors projects to implement selected initiatives;
- Communicates effectively with stakeholders and collaborates with other departments and universities to promote and provide secure identity, authentication and access management solutions;
- Engages in national and international initiatives and collaborations to advance Virginia TechGÇÖs capabilities and effectiveness;
- Ensures that enterprise development projects are executed in a manner that preserves or enhances core functionality while assuring system and data security and individual privacy;
- Maintains awareness of security and privacy practices, emerging technologies, government and industry standards, and software development practices used to provide secure, reliable system implementations;
- Builds and maintains strategic partnerships and positive and effective service relationships with stakeholder groups including customer organizations, higher education institutions, industry partners, and administrative and academic university officials;
- Provides leadership in formulating policies, standards, and procedures to secure the universityGÇÖs identity information resources; and
- Develops and monitors budgets in assigned department; implements and allocates resources following budget approval; approves expenditures.
We encourage you to apply for this position if:
- You enjoy working with a wide variety of stakeholders within and outside of Information Technology to craft and execute strategies that enable and advance university goals
- You are adept at leading, facilitating, and encouraging meaningful service and organizational evolution
- You would like to live and advance your career in one of the most beautiful regions in the country, at an institution ranked #1 in best quality of life by the 2017 Princeton Review
- Mar 23, 2018 HR Assistant Manages the onboarding and hiring processes for hourly wage employees. Communicates regularly with department directors, managers, and supervisors on hiring process updates and changes. Processes wage payroll. Audits and reconciles. Maintains division org chart. Manages the logistics for all division HR initiatives. Acts as the records retention coordinator for all HR documentation. Assists with the coordination of internal and local job fairs to recruiting for VPIT positions.
- Mar 22, 2018 Technology Business and Contract Analyst At the direction of the Director of Information Technology Procurement & Licensing Solutions, the chief objective of the Technology Business and Contract Analyst is to investigate, identify trends and alternatives, analyze, recommend and manage enterprise software contracts for the Virginia Tech community. In particular, this position will be responsible for the management of the university's various Microsoft and Adobe agreements. Additional responsibilities include the ability to lead projects and work with key functional personnel from ITPALS organizational units to effectively plan the teamGÇÖs work. The successful candidate must assist in setting team priorities, managing workflow and assignments, and have the ability to act as liaison to other project teams, university departments, and contract vendors.
- Mar 16, 2018 Software Developer Network Infrastructure and Services provides network, wireless, public safety, voice, and cable TV services for the faculty, staff, students, and partners at Virginia Tech. NI&S is looking for motivated individuals to be part of an agile team designing and developing applications to support NI&S operations. Applications developed will need to integrate with other software, databases, and directories.
Mar 09, 2018
Applications Administrator & DevOps Programmer
The successful candidate filling this position will act as a key member of the Technology -enhanced Learning and Online Strategies (TLOS) Learning Systems (technical) team, reporting to the Senior Director of Learning Systems.
TLOS, a division of Virginia Tech Information Technology, is responsible for the technology infrastructure used at Virginia Tech for various systems related to teaching and learning. These systems include, but are not limited to Canvas (our Learning Management System), EvaluationKIT (our end of semester course evaluation system), our Networked Learning Initiatives system, WordPress installations, video conferencing systems, and our video content management system. It is expected that this tool portfolio will grow. -áFurthermore, we are transitioning much of our local infrastructure to AWS and this person will be integral to our future here.
Performs both routine and project based application administration duties on teaching and learning systems.
Moves applications from a local hosted model into the cloud (AWS) and supports our cloud environment
Handles escalated support tickets (Tier 3 support) that require someone with deep systems knowledge
Works collaboratively with other teams within TLOS to meet project goals and organizational objectives.
Works with the TLOS Development team to put development projects into pilot and production stages.
Escalates issues to software vendors and works through problems with them.
Works as a backup to both our full time systems administrator (Linux based systems) and our other application administrator, as part of a small systems support team.
- Mar 09, 2018 Instructional Designer Learning Experience Design (LED), the instructional design and course development unit of Technology-enhanced Learning and Online Strategies (TLOS) is seeking an instructional designer to join the team dedicated to advancing innovation and quality in technology-enhanced courses for online, hybrid, flipped, traditional classroom and multi-modal course delivery. This position will work with other instructional designers, graphics and media developer, and instructional support specialists to guide and assist faculty in the design and development of courses and programs. Through individual consultation and semester-long, cohort-based course design and development projects, the instructional designer will meet regularly with faculty, seek out and recommend resources, provide reference for additional services, and coordinate the support of assigned faculty subject matter experts as they work to incorporate technology as well as effective pedagogy and practice in the courses that contribute to Virginia TechGÇÖs reputation for excellence in education.
- Feb 23, 2018 Junior Data Engineer The Junior Data Engineer develops an understanding of enterprise data, data relationships and business processes affecting them. The position helps to define how data is integrated with different data entities such as OLTP and OLAP databases and data lakes to provide business intelligence and analytics. In that effort, the Junior Data Engineer helps to provide support and complete lifecycle administration of processes to maintain enterprise data.
- Feb 21, 2018 Information Center Agent Working as an Information Center Agent focused on resolving computer user problems, an Information Center Agent communicates with stakeholders using a telephone and/or electronic means, determines what service is needed, and enters the pertinent service information into a computerized ticketing system, and resolves common problems, and escalated more difficult problems. Stakeholder satisfaction is at the forefront of our goals. Our stakeholders include, but are not limited to, students, staff, faculty, internal and external associates, peers, colleagues and community members.
- Feb 21, 2018 Software Development Engineer in Test Test computer applications for functionality, interoperability, security and usability. Maintain and enhance testing tools and environment on Linux, Windows and Macintosh operating systems. Assist with deployment of new and upgraded Secure Identity Services (SIS) products and services by working with developers and consumers to communicate needs and document outcomes. Create and maintain automated tests using departmentally-approved tools and procedures. Update appropriate online documentation on websites and knowledge-sharing tools. Maintain computer hardware and software used for testing in support of all SIS units. Includes troubleshooting hardware and software problems, configuration, patching, operating system installation and upgrades. Provide desktop and mobile support for SIS units as needed, including configuring laptops and mobile devices for demonstrations. Participate in on-campus help sessions for SIS-supported systems and services as necessary, including onsite visits to clients experiencing difficulties.
Feb 20, 2018
Cloud Services Administrator
Collaborative Computing Solutions (CCS) manages service proffered through Cloud-based Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) applications for Virginia Tech, such as Microsoft Office 365, Google Apps for Education (GAFE), and Slack. CCS assists faculty and staff in deploying custom solutions to Cloud providers, such as Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Microsoft Azure.
-Monitor and manage the health of Virginia Tech supported SaaS applications with a focus on collaboration and communication tooling within these services.
-Consult with faculty and staff to advise them on best practice strategies for provisioning new services to Cloud vendors
-Work as part of a team for the development, implementation, and ongoing support of SaaS applications
-Diagnosis, troubleshoot, consult, and resolve problems with SaaS applications
-Develop, refine, and conduct knowledge transfer opportunities related to SaaS applications including knowledge base articles, user groups, and in-person training courses
-Ensure data retention, availability, scalability, backup and recovery of the SaaS solutions
-Act as an escalation interface for support and communications with customers and Virginia Tech call center
-Act as the support and licensing liaison between VT Software Acquisitions and SaaS vendors
- Feb 08, 2018 Cloud Engineer I The Enterprise Systems Cloud Engineer position will create, implement, and manage the technical operation of cloud technology solutions for enterprise applications. The successful person needs to bring an enthusiasm for learning and desire to understand and develop expertise in cloud technologies, containerization platforms and applications. This position uses Docker, Kubernetes and related technologies to provide a reliable, scalable platform for enterprise applications.
- Jan 08, 2018 Web Application Administrator II The position provides web server and application administration, enterprise systems maintenance, and technical user support in a multi-tiered 24x7 environment. The Web Application Administrator is responsible for lifecycle administration including installation, upgrades, patches and maintenance for application software. The position works as part of a team for the development, implementation, and ongoing support of enterprise application software systems. The Web Application Administrator diagnoses, troubleshoots, consults, and resolves problems with complex systems in an enterprise multi-tier environment. The position is responsible for ensuring the availability, scalability, and backup and recovery of enterprise systems. The Web Application Administrator develops implements, and maintains appropriate monitoring to ensure high system availability and maximum performance and security for critical enterprise systems, as well as developing and/or coding software for operating systems and system utilities to assist in the support of the environment.