Information Technology at Virginia Tech is an organization that serves the university community and the citizens of the Commonwealth of Virginia by applying and integrating information resources to enhance and support instruction, teaching and learning; to participate in, support and enhance research; to foster outreach, develop partnerships with communities, and promote the capabilities of advanced networking and communications; and to provide, secure and maintain systems allowing the university to accomplish its missions.
The Office of Information Technology and CIO at Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Job opportunities with Information Technology at Virginia Tech
- Feb 16, 2018 Instructional Designer Learning Experience Design (LED), the instructional design and course development unit of Technology-enhanced Learning and Online Strategies (TLOS) is seeking an instructional designer to join the team dedicated to advancing innovation and quality in technology-enhanced courses for online, hybrid, flipped, traditional classroom and multi-modal course delivery. This position will work with other instructional designers, graphics and media developer, and instructional support specialists to guide and assist faculty in the design and development of courses and programs. Through individual consultation and semester-long, cohort-based course design and development projects, the instructional designer will meet regularly with faculty, seek out and recommend resources, provide reference for additional services, and coordinate the support of assigned faculty subject matter experts as they work to incorporate technology as well as effective pedagogy and practice in the courses that contribute to Virginia TechGÇÖs reputation for excellence in education.
- Feb 14, 2018 Software Development Engineer in Test Test computer applications for functionality, interoperability, security and usability. Maintain and enhance testing tools and environment on Linux, Windows and Macintosh operating systems. Assist with deployment of new and upgraded Secure Identity Services (SIS) products and services by working with developers and consumers to communicate needs and document outcomes. Create and maintain automated tests using departmentally-approved tools and procedures. Update appropriate online documentation on websites and knowledge-sharing tools. Maintain computer hardware and software used for testing in support of all SIS units. Includes troubleshooting hardware and software problems, configuration, patching, operating system installation and upgrades. Provide desktop and mobile support for SIS units as needed, including configuring laptops and mobile devices for demonstrations. Participate in on-campus help sessions for SIS-supported systems and services as necessary, including onsite visits to clients experiencing difficulties.
- Feb 12, 2018 Information Center Agent Working as an Information Center Agent focused on resolving computer user problems, an Information Center Agent communicates with stakeholders using a telephone and/or electronic means, determines what service is needed, and enters the pertinent service information into a computerized ticketing system, and resolves common problems, and escalated more difficult problems. Stakeholder satisfaction is at the forefront of our goals. Our stakeholders include, but are not limited to, students, staff, faculty, internal and external associates, peers, colleagues and community members.
- Feb 08, 2018 Cloud Engineer I The Enterprise Systems Cloud Engineer position will create, implement, and manage the technical operation of cloud technology solutions for enterprise applications. The successful person needs to bring an enthusiasm for learning and desire to understand and develop expertise in cloud technologies, containerization platforms and applications. This position uses Docker, Kubernetes and related technologies to provide a reliable, scalable platform for enterprise applications.
Feb 05, 2018
Cloud Services Administrator
Collaborative Computing Solutions (CCS) manages service proffered through Cloud-based Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) applications for Virginia Tech, such as Microsoft Office 365, Google Apps for Education (GAFE), and Slack. CCS assists faculty and staff in deploying custom solutions to Cloud providers, such as Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Microsoft Azure.
-Monitor and manage the health of Virginia Tech supported SaaS applications with a focus on collaboration and communication tooling within these services.
-Consult with faculty and staff to advise them on best practice strategies for provisioning new services to Cloud vendors
-Work as part of a team for the development, implementation, and ongoing support of SaaS applications
-Diagnosis, troubleshoot, consult, and resolve problems with SaaS applications
-Develop, refine, and conduct knowledge transfer opportunities related to SaaS applications including knowledge base articles, user groups, and in-person training courses
-Ensure data retention, availability, scalability, backup and recovery of the SaaS solutions
-Act as an escalation interface for support and communications with customers and Virginia Tech call center
-Act as the support and licensing liaison between VT Software Acquisitions and SaaS vendors
Feb 05, 2018
Communications and Development Manager
The Communications and Development Manager will plan, execute, and evaluate a comprehensive communications and development program for the Virginia Cyber Range.
Develop and implement cultivation and solicitation strategies for external funding. Oversee and supervise execution of administrative and business processes across the organization to ensure efficient, effective execution and assist where necessary. Organize and coordinate operations in ways that ensure maximum productivity. Represent the cyber range at conferences and other events.
This position will have a strong record of progressive experience in todayGÇÖs communications fields, which includes evidence of strong writing and editing, interpersonal skills, presentation skills, and marketing skills; proficiency in using word processing, image processing, content management systems, and social media tools; a strong understanding of effective graphic design and branding principles; demonstrated experience using digital media, the web, online marketing, direct marketing, and social media best practices; and the ability to manage multiple and competing priorities in a dynamic environment. This position will work as a member of the VA Cyber RangeGÇÖs team to promote the overall institutional goals related to communications, public relations, marketing, fundraising, and business engagement. This position will also contribute to the preparation, coordination, and submission of collaborative proposals for grant funding.
Feb 02, 2018
Applications Administrator & DevOps Programmer
The successful candidate filling this position will act as a key member of the Technology -enhanced Learning and Online Strategies (TLOS) Learning Systems (technical) team, reporting to the Senior Director of Learning Systems.
TLOS, a division of Virginia Tech Information Technology, is responsible for the technology infrastructure used at Virginia Tech for various systems related to teaching and learning. These systems include, but are not limited to Canvas (our Learning Management System), EvaluationKIT (our end of semester course evaluation system), our Networked Learning Initiatives system, WordPress installations, video conferencing systems, and our video content management system. It is expected that this tool portfolio will grow. -áFurthermore, we are transitioning much of our local infrastructure to AWS and this person will be integral to our future here.
Performs both routine and project based application administration duties on teaching and learning systems.
Moves applications from a local hosted model into the cloud (AWS) and supports our cloud environment
Handles escalated support tickets (Tier 3 support) that require someone with deep systems knowledge
Works collaboratively with other teams within TLOS to meet project goals and organizational objectives.
Works with the TLOS Development team to put development projects into pilot and production stages.
Escalates issues to software vendors and works through problems with them.
Works as a backup to both our full time systems administrator (Linux based systems) and our other application administrator, as part of a small systems support team.
- Jan 30, 2018 Computational Scientist Develop and teach science and engineering educational programs; workshops, lecture series, and for credit courses, for Virginia Tech faculty and students. Pursue a research agenda and collaborate with other Virginia Tech science, engineering, and outside discipline faculty to create opportunities and projects for external grants.
- Jan 29, 2018 Junior Data Engineer The Junior Data Engineer develops an understanding of enterprise data, data relationships and business processes affecting them. The position helps to define how data is integrated with different data entities such as OLTP and OLAP databases and data lakes to provide business intelligence and analytics. In that effort, the Junior Data Engineer helps to provide support and complete lifecycle administration of processes to maintain enterprise data.
Jan 09, 2018
The Media Manager provides highest-level engineering, technical and operational support for professional audio and video for education, educational events, as well as internal and external events related to Learning Experience Design/TLOS and University activities and needs.
Manages media engineering projects, camera and technical directing, camera operation and design support for multimedia production and facilities including the integration of video and audio systems with digital networking and live streaming web delivery systems for Learning Experience Design/TLOS. Manages work processes to configure equipment to integrate with existing systems and develops systems when necessary to accomplish the desired outcome for clients.
Manages the media production/distribution facility by independently analyzing, scheduling, and performing facility preventive maintenance, including the management of an inventory of equipment with depreciation schedule as well as inventory of necessary parts to facilitate repair and upgrades. Ensures that needed parts and supplies are identified and procured in a timely manner.
- Jan 08, 2018 Web Application Administrator II The position provides web server and application administration, enterprise systems maintenance, and technical user support in a multi-tiered 24x7 environment. The Web Application Administrator is responsible for lifecycle administration including installation, upgrades, patches and maintenance for application software. The position works as part of a team for the development, implementation, and ongoing support of enterprise application software systems. The Web Application Administrator diagnoses, troubleshoots, consults, and resolves problems with complex systems in an enterprise multi-tier environment. The position is responsible for ensuring the availability, scalability, and backup and recovery of enterprise systems. The Web Application Administrator develops implements, and maintains appropriate monitoring to ensure high system availability and maximum performance and security for critical enterprise systems, as well as developing and/or coding software for operating systems and system utilities to assist in the support of the environment.
Jan 03, 2018
IT Support Technician
IT Support Technician provides information technology support to the Faculty and Staff Technology Resources (FASTR) unit.
- Provides accurate solutions to reported problems employing advanced knowledge of desktop computing operating systems and applications, network connectivity and Virginia Tech Central IT provided software applications and services.
- Uses appropriate diagnostic tools to solve or escalate reported symptoms.
- Escalates problems to application/service area when appropriate (i.e., problems requiring diagnostic skills, tools, or expertise not available at secondary level).
- Support end users via phone, via e-mail, through interactive online methods, and in person for access to computing resources, central computing services and desktop computing.
- Analyze user needs to make hardware, software and configuration.
recommendations to systems administrators and the end-user community.
- Sanitize computers for surplusing
- imaging and deployment of new computer hardware.
- Provide desktop support for FASTR
workstations as directed by Manage and/or Team Lead.
Apply patches/upgrades to OS and applications software.
Install and repair system hardware. Install and manage application
software such as Oracle client, Microsoft Office Suite. Configure, manage and
troubleshoot network services. Troubleshoot diagnose and repair system
problems. Document system configurations and changes. Document computer
location and user assignment.
Dec 19, 2017
HPC System Engineer
Virginia Tech has built state-of-the-art high-performance computing (HPC) infrastructure to serve its academic and research community. HPC System Engineer is a newly created position at Advanced Research Computing (ARC), a unit of Information Technology. The HPC systems engineer will work in concert with computational scientists at ARC and with servers, storage and networking team members to advance HPC infrastructure, help develop web and cloud services for VT researchers, and maximize the productive use of HPC and visualization systems, both on campus as well as at federally-funded national centers and cloud-based commercial providers. The successful candidate will investigate emerging technologies in operation of research computing, storage and networking. They will help develop web-based portal, visualization tools, and implement private and hybrid cloud technologies for increased productivity and collaboration. Ability to undertake complex system integration projects, develop systems tools, and use system performance metrics in problem resolution and efficient use of production systems will be helpful. The successful candidates will have the ability to understand and translate HPC software and infrastructure requirements from the research community into developing effective solutions.
The qualified candidates will have the knowledge of high performance computing environments and scientific tools and software. The candidates will have a strong background in the Linux operating system, programming languages (C,C++,Java), and scripting languages (Bash, Python). The ideal candidate will have familiarity with or experience in virtualization techniques and cloud computing best practices including network and data security.