The Division of Information Technology has been working to improve the way that new accounts are created, provisioned, and used. This project is called the Account Creation Process. As the project proceeds, we will be sharing additional information with wider portions of the university community.
A quick summary of changes that will be implemented on January 29, 2018:
- G-Suite for Education (gmail and other Google web applications) will be moved under the Login service, enabling entry with a VT Username and PID password.
- VT Username (think PID, Hokies, and eduroam) for new users will go from a maximum of 8 characters to a maximum of 16 characters. Existing users will not be affected and are not eligible.
- In an effort to simplify and accelerate the creation of user accounts and passwords, the PID, Hokies, Google and network accounts will be created as part of the onboarding process.
- Newly created PID password and Hokies password will be initialized to a common password. After onboarding, users will continue to have the ability to make the PID password and Hokies password different.
- New network passwords will be automatically generated and accessible in Account Manager (https://my.vt.edu/accounts/myaccounts). Existing network passwords will continue to work until the user generates a new password.
- Password creation rules will shift to a new model that encourages longer pass PHRASES, ideally 20 characters or longer.