The Division of Information Technology has been working to improve the way that your online accounts are created, assigned permissions, and managed. These changes will go into effect on January 29, 2018.
These improvements will only require small modifications to the way you access your online accounts at Virginia Tech.
Here is a summary of what is changing for all users:
- G Suite for Education (Gmail and other Google web applications) will move under the Login service, enabling access with your VT Username (PID) and password, and 2-Factor Authentication protection.
- When your passwords expire (which happens on a yearly basis), users will have the ability to set their VT Username (PID) password and Hokies (PID@vt.edu) passwords to the same password, or to make them different.
- Existing network passwords (for eduroam WiFi) will continue to work until the user generates a new password. When a new password is needed, it will be automatically generated and accessible in Account Manager (https://my.vt.edu/accounts/myaccounts).
- Password rules will shift to a new model that encourages longer PASSPHRASES, ideally 20 characters or longer.
For new users (new students, faculty, and staff), there will be additional procedural changes that simplify the onboarding experience and improve security:
- VT Usernames (used to access PID applications, Hokies, and eduroam Network accounts) will have a new maximum of 16 characters (the old ones were capped at 8 characters). Existing users will not be affected by this change and are not eligible.
- VT Username (PID), Hokies, Google and Network Accounts (eduroam WiFi) will all be created simultaneously as part of the onboarding process.
- Newly created VT Username (PID) and Hokies (PID + @vt.edu) passwords will initially be set the same. After onboarding, users will have the ability to make the VT Username password and Hokies password different, or to keep them the same.
- New network passwords (for access to eduroam WiFi) will be automatically generated and accessible in Account Manager (https://my.vt.edu/accounts/myaccounts).