News & Notices
We constantly monitor our services and their related components. If there is ever a service interruption, a notification will be posted to the System Status. If you are experiencing problems not listed on the System Status, you can submit a request for service.
Division of IT News @ Virginia Tech
- Feb 20, 2020 Requesting Participants for the EDUCAUSE Student Technology Study 2020 Virginia Tech is interested in improving students’ experiences with information technology in higher education. The results of this survey are very important to us. Your participation in the study is voluntary, and your responses will be completely confidential. By completing this survey, you will be eligible to be selected for either a $50 or $100 gift certificate to Amazon.com
- Feb 07, 2020 Vicki Hall named strategic and operational planning director for Division of Information Technology Hall, previously a project manager for Enterprise Systems, will focus her efforts on ensuring successful development and execution of the Division of IT's strategic and operational plans in alignment with Virginia Tech's strategic goals.
- Jan 29, 2020 Gannon Davis named director of Information Technology business and financial affairs Davis has more than 15 years of experience in higher education financial management and has served at Virginia Tech since 2007.
- Jan 22, 2020 Save time on scheduling: Microsoft Bookings app now available for faculty and staff Microsoft Bookings is an optional app designed to make appointment scheduling easier by allowing students and other visitors to book their own appointments based on your stated availability.
- Jan 21, 2020 Dawn Zimmer joins Division of Information Technology as IT experience and engagement lead Zimmer has more than 20 years of experience in information technology, service delivery, business partnerships, relationship management, and strategic planning and execution.
- Jan 14, 2020 Additional walk-in computer support hours added in the Student Services Building 4Help and Network Infrastructure & Services will provide additional walk-in IT support hours in the Student Services Building (Room 120) from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Mondays and Tuesdays starting Tuesday, January 21, 2020.
IT Maintenance Events
- Sep 17, 2019 Honors College assistant professor receives grant to improve student access to computational research Stephanie “Nikki” Lewis, collegiate assistant professor in the Honors College, has been awarded a 4-VA Grant through the Technology-enhanced Learning and Online Strategies (TLOS) division to conduct a course redesign in the Honors College.
- Apr 22, 2019 Data-Driven IT Support Operations and Decision-Making: A Grassroots Effort Data-driven decision-making can occur at either the strategic level or the operational level. While data-driven decision-making at the strategic level often requires a carefully considered plan, significant investment, and a top-down approach, data-driven decision-making at the operational level can be a grassroots effort that does not require significant financial or personnel investment.
- Jun 26, 2018 Video for Instruction: establishing a comprehensive video strategy for the future It can seem a bit magical to users when enterprise-wide programs change service providers, but a peek inside the process reveals the teamwork and planning required to get from idea to launch. The VFI group was charged to evaluate all the available, innovative, and affordable service options for using video in teaching and learning with a specific focus on services not requiring proprietary hardware or file formats.
- Mar 26, 2018 A gradual rollout of Banner 9 has begun in some administrative offices On March 12, 2018, a gradual rollout of Banner 9 administrative pages began in a few administrative offices on campus, including the Bursar’s Office, the Registrar’s Office, and others. Banner 9 is the next generation of the university's enterprise resource planning system, which provides integrated management of our core business processes.
- Feb 12, 2018 Hidden Figures: Into the Future Come to Virginia Tech on March 20 to attend a free matinee showing of the acclaimed motion picture Hidden Figures in Haymarket Theater (doors open at 3:30pm). Events are free of charge, but you do need to pre-register so that we can keep track of how many spaces are left.
- Jan 29, 2018 Virginia Tech Google accounts no longer uses a separate password; Google apps moved to VT Login service
- Jan 16, 2018 More-secure passphrases replaced passwords To ensure the security of personal data and university resources, the Division of Information Technology is updating account creation and management processes and implementing new password complexity rules on January 29th.
- Jan 16, 2018 Keeping track of your eduroam (WiFi) password is about to get easier When you need to re-enter your eduroam WiFi password (aka your Network Password), can you remember it? Neither can we! To help, the process is about to get easier. Beginning January 29th, you will be able to retrieve or re-set an auto-generated password each time you need to connect a device.