News & Notices
We constantly monitor our services and their related components. If there is ever a service interruption, a notification will be posted to the System Status. If you are experiencing problems not listed on the System Status, you can submit a request for service.
Division of IT News @ Virginia Tech
- Jul 06, 2020 Research computing growth: Fralin Life Sciences Institute computing group joins Advanced Research Computing Research computing capabilities at Virginia Tech are expanding with the merger of the Fralin Life Sciences Institute research computing group and Advanced Research Computing in the Division of Information Technology.
- Jun 22, 2020 Free online events offer deep dive into the latest collaboration tools from Microsoft and Google Learn how to use Microsoft's and Google's team collaboration tools more effectively at these free online events, co-hosted by Collaborative Computing Solutions.
- Jun 10, 2020 Configuring Virginia Tech’s chat tools for effective communication; minimal distraction Chat notifications getting out of hand? Virginia Tech 4Help has published a Knowledge Base article with tips for setting your status and availability in Microsoft Teams, Google Hangouts, and Slack for optimal productivity and effective communication.
- May 13, 2020 Another way to host and join video meetings: Google Meet is now available in Gmail The Google Meet video conferencing tool is now available for Virginia Tech students, faculty, staff, and alumni through their Gmail accounts.
- May 08, 2020 Be aware: spear phishing attempts on the rise Be on the lookout for suspicious emails: the Virginia Tech IT Security Office is tracking a sharp increase in ‘spear phishing’ emails impersonating Virginia Tech administrators, which contain false links or other attempts to access personal information.
- Apr 28, 2020 How to move a university online in 12 days Helping instructors design engaging, accessible online courses is a core function of Technology-enhanced Learning and Online Strategies, but doing this for all courses in such a short time period was unprecedented.
IT Maintenance Events
- May 12, 2020 Join us in congratulating our graduating IT student employees (and employee-students!) Please join us in saying CONGRATULATIONS!!! to our Division of IT student workers (and employee-students!) who are graduating in spring/summer 2020.
- Apr 15, 2020 COVID-19: Technology Resources Shifting to an entirely online format is a new and challenging experience for the Virginia Tech community. The following resources from the Division of IT will help you navigate the technology needed to successfully teach, take classes, and work remotely.
- Sep 17, 2019 Honors College assistant professor receives grant to improve student access to computational research Stephanie “Nikki” Lewis, collegiate assistant professor in the Honors College, has been awarded a 4-VA Grant through the Technology-enhanced Learning and Online Strategies (TLOS) division to conduct a course redesign in the Honors College.
- Apr 22, 2019 Data-Driven IT Support Operations and Decision-Making: A Grassroots Effort Data-driven decision-making can occur at either the strategic level or the operational level. While data-driven decision-making at the strategic level often requires a carefully considered plan, significant investment, and a top-down approach, data-driven decision-making at the operational level can be a grassroots effort that does not require significant financial or personnel investment.
- Jun 26, 2018 Video for Instruction: establishing a comprehensive video strategy for the future It can seem a bit magical to users when enterprise-wide programs change service providers, but a peek inside the process reveals the teamwork and planning required to get from idea to launch. The VFI group was charged to evaluate all the available, innovative, and affordable service options for using video in teaching and learning with a specific focus on services not requiring proprietary hardware or file formats.
- Mar 26, 2018 A gradual rollout of Banner 9 has begun in some administrative offices On March 12, 2018, a gradual rollout of Banner 9 administrative pages began in a few administrative offices on campus, including the Bursar’s Office, the Registrar’s Office, and others. Banner 9 is the next generation of the university's enterprise resource planning system, which provides integrated management of our core business processes.
- Feb 12, 2018 Hidden Figures: Into the Future Come to Virginia Tech on March 20 to attend a free matinee showing of the acclaimed motion picture Hidden Figures in Haymarket Theater (doors open at 3:30pm). Events are free of charge, but you do need to pre-register so that we can keep track of how many spaces are left.
- Jan 29, 2018 Virginia Tech Google accounts no longer uses a separate password; Google apps moved to VT Login service