We constantly monitor our services and their related components. If there is ever a service interruption, a notification will be posted to the System Status. If you are experiencing problems not listed on the System Status, you can submit a request for service.
Division of IT News @ Virginia Tech
- Dec 06, 2018 Spear phishing and other scams increasing, please be aware Information on how to protect yourself from spear phishing an other online scams.
- Nov 12, 2018 Virginia Tech offers Slack as an online collaboration tool The Division of IT administers Slack as an online collaboration and work space, offering group and individual chat, link and attachment sharing, and integration with apps like Google Drive, Trello, and more. Read here to find out how Slack can enhance your Virginia Tech communications experience.
- Nov 12, 2018 Virginia Cyber Range director recognized for leadership in cybersecurity David Raymond, director of the Virginia Cyber Range and deputy director of Virginia Tech’s Information Technology Security Lab, received the 2018 Shirley Payne IT Security Advancement Award for strengthening IT security within the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Oct 24, 2018 Ryan McDaniel appointed executive director of Security Identity Services McDaniel has worked in higher education for more than 20 years, with roles in instruction, student records, and admissions. In his time managing student and faculty services at Stanford University, Alta Colleges, and the University of Colorado, Ryan supported enterprise resource planning applications and online education services.
- Aug 29, 2018 Inaugural Virginia Cybersecurity Education Conference brings together educators The conference theme, Innovative Teaching and Learning in Cybersecurity, got attendees thinking about ways to engage students at all grade levels in hands-on, meaningful educational activities related to cybersecurity.
- Aug 26, 2018 OneCampus connects students, faculty, and staff to online resources and applications
IT Maintenance Events
- Jun 26, 2018 Video for Instruction: establishing a comprehensive video strategy for the future It can seem a bit magical to users when enterprise-wide programs change service providers, but a peek inside the process reveals the teamwork and planning required to get from idea to launch. With the contracts for WebEx and Echo360 services ending in June 2018, Technology-enhanced Learning and Online Strategies began planning for a possible service change by forming the Video-for-Instruction working group in 2016. The VFI group was charged to evaluate all the available, innovative, and affordable service options for using video in teaching and learning with a specific focus on services not requiring proprietary hardware or file formats. The resulting report recommended the ideal service transition would feature the new tools integrated into existing services with all content migrated and no disruptions for users while offering an easier to use and improved service compared to those replaced.
- Mar 26, 2018 A gradual rollout of Banner 9 has begun in some administrative offices On March 12, 2018, a gradual rollout of Banner 9 administrative pages began in a few administrative offices on campus, including the Bursar’s Office, the Registrar’s Office, and others. Banner 9 is the next generation of the university's enterprise resource planning system, which provides integrated management of our core business processes.
- Feb 12, 2018 Hidden Figures: Into the Future Come to Virginia Tech on March 20 to attend a free matinee showing of the acclaimed motion picture Hidden Figures in Haymarket Theater (doors open at 3:30pm). Events are free of charge, but you do need to pre-register so that we can keep track of how many spaces are left.
- Jan 29, 2018 Virginia Tech Google accounts no longer uses a separate password; Google apps moved to VT Login service
- Jan 16, 2018 More-secure passphrases replaced passwords To ensure the security of personal data and university resources, the Division of Information Technology is updating account creation and management processes and implementing new password complexity rules on January 29th.
- Jan 16, 2018 Keeping track of your eduroam (WiFi) password is about to get easier When you need to re-enter your eduroam WiFi password (aka your Network Password), can you remember it? Neither can we! To help, the process is about to get easier. Beginning January 29th, you will be able to retrieve or re-set an auto-generated password each time you need to connect a device.
- Oct 18, 2017 Tips to practice good online safety habits Improve your online experience and increase your security by practicing good online safety habits with these tips and advice.
- Oct 16, 2017 Cyber Security Awareness Month October is Cybersecurity Awareness month! Improve your online experience and increase your security by practicing good online safety habits with these tips and advice.
IT Events Calendar
- Dec 18, 2018 10:00 AM - 11:59 PM Torgersen Hall 1100 CETL: Course Design Clinic CETL: Course Design Clinic: The Course Design Clinic has been developed to provide you with focused support as you are planning for a new course or revising an existing course. During the day and a half-long session, you will be guided through several stages of course design to include: 1) identifying goals and learning outcomes 2) organizing the syllabus and schedule 3) designing individual class meetings, activities, and assignments 4) planning for assessment of student learning Through working with the staff at the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, you will receive guidance on rigorous instructional design, assignment-based assessment, active learning strategies, and inclusive course design. The goal of this clinic is to get you to think through multiple levels of granularity for your course and complete much of planning at once while having instructional experts on hand. You will leave the clinic well on your way to having a complete course, syllabus, and task list for implementation.
- More-secure passphrases replace passwords beginning January 29
- Banner being upgraded in 2018
- Open letter to faculty on migration to Canvas
- Notices for the Graduates asked to unsubscribe from VT Alerts
- iPads, MacBooks, laptops, cameras, and more available for checkout at Newman Library
- BT4U mobile app provides real-time bus information
- Learning Experience Design provides course design assistance during Canvas migrations
- All employees have unlimited access to software, design, and business skill tutorials via lynda.com
- Download LiveSafe app to stay safe and informed
- Email 'phishing' reminder
- Important safety information about university telephones
- Accessibility improvements made to interactive campus map