We constantly monitor our services and their related components. If there is ever a service interruption, a notification will be posted to the System Status. If you are experiencing problems not listed on the System Status, you can submit a request for service.
Division of IT News @ Virginia Tech
- Aug 16, 2018 Virginia Tech partners with Turnitin to provide plagiarism detection software This educational tool promotes academic integrity while also enhancing student learning and improving the student writing experience.
- Aug 15, 2018 Karen Herrington appointed director of IT data analytics and visualization Herrington moves from her previous role in Secure Identity Services to direct the IT data analytics and visualization effort on a full-time basis.
- Jul 30, 2018 Banner 9 available to departmental users beginning August 6 Information about the Banner 9 Rollout coming August 6th, 2018, how to get additional information about it.
- Jul 24, 2018 Accessibility Hackathon, Aug. 16 See how you can use accessible technologies to enhance your videos, websites, presentations, and other shared media.
- Apr 09, 2018 Virginia Cyber Range to host inaugural conference for cybersecurity educators The two-day conference will explore how to more effectively teach cybersecurity topics including network defense, secure coding, digital forensics, and how to secure critical infrastructure.
- Apr 05, 2018 Research teams led by junior faculty win seed funding for new projects The Institute for Critical Technology and Applied Science's flagship funding program, the Junior Faculty Awards are designed to provide seed funding for new projects that have the potential to grow into vibrant research programs attracting major federal grants.
IT Maintenance Events
- Jun 26, 2018 Video for Instruction: establishing a comprehensive video strategy for the future It can seem a bit magical to users when enterprise-wide programs change service providers, but a peek inside the process reveals the teamwork and planning required to get from idea to launch. With the contracts for WebEx and Echo360 services ending in June 2018, Technology-enhanced Learning and Online Strategies began planning for a possible service change by forming the Video-for-Instruction working group in 2016. The VFI group was charged to evaluate all the available, innovative, and affordable service options for using video in teaching and learning with a specific focus on services not requiring proprietary hardware or file formats. The resulting report recommended the ideal service transition would feature the new tools integrated into existing services with all content migrated and no disruptions for users while offering an easier to use and improved service compared to those replaced.
- Mar 26, 2018 A gradual rollout of Banner 9 has begun in some administrative offices On March 12, 2018, a gradual rollout of Banner 9 administrative pages began in a few administrative offices on campus, including the Bursar’s Office, the Registrar’s Office, and others. Banner 9 is the next generation of the university's enterprise resource planning system, which provides integrated management of our core business processes.
- Feb 12, 2018 Hidden Figures: Into the Future Come to Virginia Tech on March 20 to attend a free matinee showing of the acclaimed motion picture Hidden Figures in Haymarket Theater (doors open at 3:30pm). Events are free of charge, but you do need to pre-register so that we can keep track of how many spaces are left.
- Jan 29, 2018 Virginia Tech Google accounts no longer uses a separate password; Google apps moved to VT Login service
- Jan 16, 2018 More-secure passphrases replaced passwords To ensure the security of personal data and university resources, the Division of Information Technology is updating account creation and management processes and implementing new password complexity rules on January 29th.
- Jan 16, 2018 Keeping track of your eduroam (WiFi) password is about to get easier When you need to re-enter your eduroam WiFi password (aka your Network Password), can you remember it? Neither can we! To help, the process is about to get easier. Beginning January 29th, you will be able to retrieve or re-set an auto-generated password each time you need to connect a device.
- Oct 18, 2017 Tips to practice good online safety habits Improve your online experience and increase your security by practicing good online safety habits with these tips and advice.
- Oct 16, 2017 Cyber Security Awareness Month October is Cybersecurity Awareness month! Improve your online experience and increase your security by practicing good online safety habits with these tips and advice.
- More-secure passphrases replace passwords beginning January 29
- Banner being upgraded in 2018
- Open letter to faculty on migration to Canvas
- Notices for the Graduates asked to unsubscribe from VT Alerts
- iPads, MacBooks, laptops, cameras, and more available for checkout at Newman Library
- BT4U mobile app provides real-time bus information
- Learning Experience Design provides course design assistance during Canvas migrations
- All employees have unlimited access to software, design, and business skill tutorials via lynda.com
- Download LiveSafe app to stay safe and informed
- Email 'phishing' reminder
- Important safety information about university telephones
- Accessibility improvements made to interactive campus map