We constantly monitor our services and their related components. If there is ever a service interruption, a notification will be posted to the System Status. If you are experiencing problems not listed on the System Status, you can submit a request for service.
IT News @ Virginia Tech
- Nov 27, 2017 Virginia Tech helps independent grape growers in the commonwealth assess and manage vineyards Landowners can use Geovine, a vineyard site assessment and management tool developed by Virginia Tech’s Center for Geospatial Information Technology, to help them find appropriate properties for vineyards.
- Oct 12, 2017 Wi-Fi service added to more outdoor campus locations Notice describes campus locations with outdoor wireless connectivity
- Sep 07, 2017 Virginia Tech collaboration with colleges and universities allows Virginia Cyber Range to thrive Launched in July 2016, the program offers a virtual environment where students can participate in immersive laboratory exercises that complement their cybersecurity courses.
- Aug 31, 2017 FCC grants streamlined request process for experimental radio licenses on Virginia Tech Blacksburg campus Campus notice regarding streamlined FCC license procurement for researchers on campus.
- Jul 29, 2016 Virginia Tech to spearhead $19.4 million effort to build new software institute dedicated to molecular, chemical computational modeling The university will lead a new initiative to build a national team of software scientists to design and build new, powerful software tools, in what will be called the Molecular Sciences Software Institute.
- Jul 19, 2016 Outdoor Wi-Fi now available between Peddrew-Yates and Pritchard residence halls There is a new exterior wireless access point across the large outdoor area between the residence halls where the university's only solar-powered table is located.
IT Maintenance Events
- Oct 16, 2017 Cyber Security Awareness Month October is Cybersecurity Awareness month! Improve your online experience and increase your security by practicing good online safety habits with these tips and advice. Personal information is like money; value it and protect it - Pay attention to what information is collected about you through apps and websites. Adjust your privacy and security settings to match your comfort level. Also, check your credit report regularly for unauthorized activity.
- Oct 12, 2017 Wi-Fi service added to more outdoor campus locations To enable learning and collaboration outside the classroom, outdoor wireless coverage has been added outside of Newman Library, Squires Student Center, G. Burke Johnston Student Center, and the following dining, residential, and academic buildings across campus: Burruss, Dietrick, Owens, Derring, Randolph, Bishop-Favrao, Peddrew-Yates, Pritchard, Lavery, Kelly, Cowgill, and the Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine.
- Sep 19, 2017 Find and connect to university services on Virginia Tech's OneCampus site OneCampus is the new hub for online academic, business, and personal transactions while at the university. You can use OneCampus to to connect to everything from Canvas to parking services; from leave reports to paystub information; from ticket sales to the academic calendar; and more!
- Sep 07, 2017 Virginia Cyber Range At a Sept. 6 ceremony, the Virginia Cyber Range was presented with the 2017 Governor’s Technology Award for innovative use of technology in education.
- Apr 07, 2017 Information Technology Symposium To support the exchange of information and greater collaboration between all IT professionals at Virginia Tech, the IT Council and the Division of IT are hosting a new program called the IT Symposium. The inaugural event is coming up on the afternoon of April 7, 2017. The IT Symposium is organized to promote open discussion in a roundtable format. This year's schedule includes a pre-session in the morning over at the Moss Arts Center, and then four concurrent sessions in the afternoon.
- Jan 10, 2017 CODE: Debugging the Gender Gap Join us on February 7th for “CODE: Debugging the Gender Gap” a documentary exploring the role of women and minorities in data science and STEM. After the movie, Lauren States leads a panel of software developers and engineers including Jessica Self, Racheida Lewis, Ashima Athri, and Mary Martin in discussing issues of gender and race in today’s technology fields.
- Sep 21, 2016 Virginia Cyber Range Working with eight other public institutions of higher education across Virginia, Virginia Tech is leading an effort to create a state-of-the-art platform for cybersecurity education. The Virginia Cyber Range will provide advanced cybersecurity training exercises for high-school and college students, revolutionize cybersecurity education within the commonwealth, and position Virginia to become a leading source of critical cybersecurity expertise for the nation.
- Aug 18, 2016 Summit Summit, Virginia Tech’s new research proposal management system, simplifies the development and internal submission of research proposals for faculty and research administrators. The system includes a suite of new tools that will improve sponsored research administration at Virginia Tech.
IT Events Calendar
- Dec 12, 2017 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM Roanoke College - Colket Center, Wortmann Ball Room, 221 College Ln, Salem, VA 24153 Roanoke - Blacksburg Technology Council 2017 Holiday Social Join us for an evening of casual business networking and holiday spirit at our annual RBTC Holiday Social, sponsored by Delta Dental! Registration for this event will include appetizers and two drink tickets. A cash bar will be available over the course of the evening as well. The Roanoke-Blacksburg region has many recent accomplishments to be thankful for - let's celebrate together and continue our forward momentum into the coming year! Please register!
- Dec 14, 2017 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM The Inn at Virginia Tech, Latham Ballroom Division of IT Holiday Reception Time for all Division of IT employees to gather and share some good cheer.
- Open letter to faculty on migration to Canvas
- Notices for the Graduates asked to unsubscribe from VT Alerts
- iPads, MacBooks, laptops, cameras, and more available for checkout at Newman Library
- BT4U mobile app provides real-time bus information
- Beware of VT Alerts phishing scam
- Learning Experience Design provides course design assistance during Canvas migrations
- All employees have unlimited access to software, design, and business skill tutorials via lynda.com
- Download LiveSafe app to stay safe and informed
- Email 'phishing' reminder
- Important safety information about university telephones
- Accessibility improvements made to interactive campus map
- Enroll in 2-Factor Authentication before it becomes mandatory July 4