We constantly monitor our services and their related components. If there is ever a service interruption, a notification will be posted to the System Status. If you are experiencing problems not listed on the System Status, you can submit a request for service.
Division of IT News @ Virginia Tech
- Apr 19, 2018 Get ready to use Zoom—online training available April 27 Get ready to use Zoom—Online training available April 27 from 12:30 to 2 p.m. This online training is open to everyone on campus.
- Apr 18, 2018 Faculty course design showcase, May 3 Announcing the May 3, 2018 faculty showcase of courses they developed with Technology-enhanced Learning and Online Strategies (TLOS).
- Apr 17, 2018 Antivirus protections for student computers and devices Antivirus software for student devices no longer provided by Division of IT
- Apr 13, 2018 Faculty proposals for Design and Develop Awards now being accepted Faculty proposals for Design and Develop Awards now being accepted. Proposals are due May 3, 2018, for course development in Summer I/II or Fall 2018.
- Apr 09, 2018 Virginia Cyber Range to host inaugural conference for cybersecurity educators The two-day conference will explore how to more effectively teach cybersecurity topics including network defense, secure coding, digital forensics, and how to secure critical infrastructure.
- Apr 05, 2018 Research teams led by junior faculty win seed funding for new projects The Institute for Critical Technology and Applied Science's flagship funding program, the Junior Faculty Awards are designed to provide seed funding for new projects that have the potential to grow into vibrant research programs attracting major federal grants.
IT Maintenance Events
- Mar 26, 2018 A gradual rollout of Banner 9 has begun in some administrative offices On March 12, 2018, a gradual rollout of Banner 9 administrative pages began in a few administrative offices on campus, including the Bursar’s Office, the Registrar’s Office, and others. Banner 9 is the next generation of the university's enterprise resource planning system, which provides integrated management of our core business processes.
- Feb 12, 2018 Hidden Figures: Into the Future Come to Virginia Tech on March 20 to attend a free matinee showing of the acclaimed motion picture Hidden Figures in Haymarket Theater (doors open at 3:30pm). Events are free of charge, but you do need to pre-register so that we can keep track of how many spaces are left.
- Jan 29, 2018 Virginia Tech Google accounts no longer uses a separate password; Google apps moved to VT Login service
- Jan 16, 2018 More-secure passphrases replaced passwords To ensure the security of personal data and university resources, the Division of Information Technology is updating account creation and management processes and implementing new password complexity rules on January 29th.
- Jan 16, 2018 Keeping track of your eduroam (WiFi) password is about to get easier When you need to re-enter your eduroam WiFi password (aka your Network Password), can you remember it? Neither can we! To help, the process is about to get easier. Beginning January 29th, you will be able to retrieve or re-set an auto-generated password each time you need to connect a device.
- Oct 18, 2017 Tips to practice good online safety habits Improve your online experience and increase your security by practicing good online safety habits with these tips and advice.
- Oct 16, 2017 Cyber Security Awareness Month October is Cybersecurity Awareness month! Improve your online experience and increase your security by practicing good online safety habits with these tips and advice.
- Oct 12, 2017 Wi-Fi service added to more outdoor campus locations To enable learning and collaboration outside the classroom, outdoor wireless coverage has been added outside numerous locations throughout campus.
IT Events Calendar
- Apr 23, 2018 10:30 AM - 12:00 PM Alumni Assembly Hall, Skelton Conference Center Division of IT Town Hall, Session 1 This Town Hall meeting will discuss new and ongoing initiatives within the Division of IT. All division personnel are encouraged to attend in person (if possible). Online attendance via Zoom will also be an option.
- More-secure passphrases replace passwords beginning January 29
- Banner being upgraded in 2018
- Open letter to faculty on migration to Canvas
- Notices for the Graduates asked to unsubscribe from VT Alerts
- iPads, MacBooks, laptops, cameras, and more available for checkout at Newman Library
- BT4U mobile app provides real-time bus information
- Learning Experience Design provides course design assistance during Canvas migrations
- All employees have unlimited access to software, design, and business skill tutorials via lynda.com
- Download LiveSafe app to stay safe and informed
- Email 'phishing' reminder
- Important safety information about university telephones
- Accessibility improvements made to interactive campus map
- Enroll in 2-Factor Authentication before it becomes mandatory July 4