We constantly monitor our services and their related components. If there is ever a service interruption, a notification will be posted to the System Status. If you are experiencing problems not listed on the System Status, you can submit a request for service.
Division of IT News @ Virginia Tech
- Apr 09, 2018 Virginia Cyber Range to host inaugural conference for cybersecurity educators The two-day conference will explore how to more effectively teach cybersecurity topics including network defense, secure coding, digital forensics, and how to secure critical infrastructure.
- Apr 05, 2018 Research teams led by junior faculty win seed funding for new projects The Institute for Critical Technology and Applied Science's flagship funding program, the Junior Faculty Awards are designed to provide seed funding for new projects that have the potential to grow into vibrant research programs attracting major federal grants.
- Mar 26, 2018 A gradual rollout of Banner 9 has begun in some administrative offices We are beginning a gradual rollout of Banner 9 administrative pages in a few administrative offices located on campus. The Banner 9 rollout brings a more modern user interface as well as a technology upgrade which will provide easier integration with other systems in the future.
- Mar 12, 2018 Free event to help inspire students to dream big Virginia Tech's Division of Information Technology is teaming up with InclusiveVT, the College of Science, and the College of Engineering to organize a unique event called "Hidden Figures: Into the Future," which will bring middle and high school students from the region to campus on March 19 and 20.
- Feb 19, 2018 Virginia Tech selects Zoom and Kaltura as new video tools Zoom and Kaltura will replace existing instructional video tools at the end of the spring semester.
- Jan 19, 2018 More-secure passphrases replace passwords beginning January 29 notice about password complexity changes
IT Maintenance Events
- Mar 26, 2018 A gradual rollout of Banner 9 has begun in some administrative offices On March 12, 2018, a gradual rollout of Banner 9 administrative pages began in a few administrative offices on campus, including the Bursar’s Office, the Registrar’s Office, and others. Banner 9 is the next generation of the university's enterprise resource planning system, which provides integrated management of our core business processes.
- Feb 12, 2018 Hidden Figures: Into the Future Come to Virginia Tech on March 20 to attend a free matinee showing of the acclaimed motion picture Hidden Figures in Haymarket Theater (doors open at 3:30pm). Events are free of charge, but you do need to pre-register so that we can keep track of how many spaces are left.
- Jan 29, 2018 Virginia Tech Google accounts no longer uses a separate password; Google apps moved to VT Login service
- Jan 16, 2018 More-secure passphrases replaced passwords To ensure the security of personal data and university resources, the Division of Information Technology is updating account creation and management processes and implementing new password complexity rules on January 29th.
- Jan 16, 2018 Keeping track of your eduroam (WiFi) password is about to get easier When you need to re-enter your eduroam WiFi password (aka your Network Password), can you remember it? Neither can we! To help, the process is about to get easier. Beginning January 29th, you will be able to retrieve or re-set an auto-generated password each time you need to connect a device.
- Oct 18, 2017 Tips to practice good online safety habits Improve your online experience and increase your security by practicing good online safety habits with these tips and advice.
- Oct 16, 2017 Cyber Security Awareness Month October is Cybersecurity Awareness month! Improve your online experience and increase your security by practicing good online safety habits with these tips and advice.
- Oct 12, 2017 Wi-Fi service added to more outdoor campus locations To enable learning and collaboration outside the classroom, outdoor wireless coverage has been added outside numerous locations throughout campus.
- More-secure passphrases replace passwords beginning January 29
- Banner being upgraded in 2018
- Open letter to faculty on migration to Canvas
- Notices for the Graduates asked to unsubscribe from VT Alerts
- iPads, MacBooks, laptops, cameras, and more available for checkout at Newman Library
- BT4U mobile app provides real-time bus information
- Learning Experience Design provides course design assistance during Canvas migrations
- All employees have unlimited access to software, design, and business skill tutorials via lynda.com
- Download LiveSafe app to stay safe and informed
- Email 'phishing' reminder
- Important safety information about university telephones
- Accessibility improvements made to interactive campus map