Welcome to the homepage for the Division of Information Technology. We provide computer and technology support and services to Virginia Tech students, faculty, staff, alumni, and visitors, with a focus on:
- Enhanced support for teaching and learning;
- Participation and support for research activities;
- Outreach, community partnerships, and advanced networking and communications; and,
- Access, security, and maintenance of information systems that allow the university to accomplish its missions.
The Division of IT consists of nine units, overseen by the vice president for information technology and chief information officer (VPIT). Oversight of the security of Virginia Tech's information technology resources and information is entrusted to the VPIT by the Virginia Tech Board of Visitors.
IT and Computer Support through 4Help
- Access a knowledge base containing a vast library of how-to manuals, troubleshooting tips, and general information about hardware, software, and cloud services available at Virginia Tech;
- Request help with computer or technology issues from the IT Help Desk; and,
- Request services through the IT Service Catalog.
Sofware Service Center
Students, employees, and departments can find information about purchasing and acquiring software through the Software Service Center.
IT Policies and Standards
University policies in the topical area of information technology are listed in the 7000 series. These policies provide direction and assistance to the university community in the conduct of affairs as they relate to acceptable use of data and resources, data security, accessbility, and other areas of information technology use. Standards prescribe specific actions to be taken to conform to established policies, allowing for their orderly implementation.
Strategic Planning for the Division of IT
The 2018-2024 Strategic Plan for the Division of Information Technology provides a high-level framework for further strategic and tactical planning to support the university’s long-range plan, The Virginia Tech Difference: Advancing Beyond Boundaries, which builds upon the Beyond Boundaries vision, and to position the division to meet the university’s technology needs into the future.
Division of IT Quicklinks
Division of IT Homepage: Learn about the IT organization, jobs, and services that we offer.
4Help Self-Service Dashboard: Ask for help, browse our Knowledge Base for answers, or connect to IT support services.
IT Service Catalog: Find and request technology services available to Virginia Tech students, faculty, and staff.
Software Services: Providing technology solutions that meet the changing needs of Virginia Tech's students, faculty, and staff.
Division of IT Intranet: log into InIT, the IT employee intranet.
Contact: Office of the Vice President for Information Technology, (MC 0169)
755 University City Boulevard
Blacksburg, Virginia 24060