IT News @ Virginia Tech
- Apr 19, 2019 Researchers aim to enhance lost person search and rescue efforts using drones, artificial intelligence Thanks to a $1.5 million grant from the National Science Foundation, a group of Virginia Tech engineers hopes to redefine search and rescue protocols by teaming up human searchers with unmanned aerial robots, or drones.
- Apr 04, 2019 Be aware: new phishing attempt looks very similar to official Virginia Tech pages Raising awareness about a sophisticated and aggressive phishing cyberattack that is targeting the Virginia Tech community.
- Mar 14, 2019 New DNS firewall service safeguards personal data, university systems A new domain name service firewall will protect Virginia Tech internet users.
- Feb 14, 2019 High-performance computing boosts art and design students’ creative power Students taking the university’s advanced animation course will now be able to create complex projects more quickly and efficiently, thanks to a collaboration between the School of Visual Arts, Advanced Research Computing, and the Institute for Creativity, Arts, and Technology.
- Feb 13, 2019 University Directory Service helps Virginia Tech make connections 24/7 This notice lets people know that the university switchboard is now officially called the University Directory Service, and can be accessed by calling 231-6000.
- Jan 28, 2019 Student survey: EDUCAUSE technology research in academic communities Please take a few minutes to complete this survey of your experiences with technology at Virginia Tech.
Division of IT Spotlights
- Jun 26, 2018 Video for Instruction: establishing a comprehensive video strategy for the future It can seem a bit magical to users when enterprise-wide programs change service providers, but a peek inside the process reveals the teamwork and planning required to get from idea to launch. With the contracts for WebEx and Echo360 services ending in June 2018, Technology-enhanced Learning and Online Strategies began planning for a possible service change by forming the Video-for-Instruction working group in 2016. The VFI group was charged to evaluate all the available, innovative, and affordable service options for using video in teaching and learning with a specific focus on services not requiring proprietary hardware or file formats. The resulting report recommended the ideal service transition would feature the new tools integrated into existing services with all content migrated and no disruptions for users while offering an easier to use and improved service compared to those replaced.
- Mar 26, 2018 A gradual rollout of Banner 9 has begun in some administrative offices On March 12, 2018, a gradual rollout of Banner 9 administrative pages began in a few administrative offices on campus, including the Bursar’s Office, the Registrar’s Office, and others. Banner 9 is the next generation of the university's enterprise resource planning system, which provides integrated management of our core business processes.
- Feb 12, 2018 Hidden Figures: Into the Future Come to Virginia Tech on March 20 to attend a free matinee showing of the acclaimed motion picture Hidden Figures in Haymarket Theater (doors open at 3:30pm). Events are free of charge, but you do need to pre-register so that we can keep track of how many spaces are left.