IT News @ Virginia Tech
- Dec 06, 2018 Spear phishing and other scams increasing, please be aware Information on how to protect yourself from spear phishing an other online scams.
- Nov 12, 2018 Virginia Tech offers Slack as an online collaboration tool The Division of IT administers Slack as an online collaboration and work space, offering group and individual chat, link and attachment sharing, and integration with apps like Google Drive, Trello, and more. Read here to find out how Slack can enhance your Virginia Tech communications experience.
- Nov 12, 2018 Virginia Cyber Range director recognized for leadership in cybersecurity David Raymond, director of the Virginia Cyber Range and deputy director of Virginia Tech’s Information Technology Security Lab, received the 2018 Shirley Payne IT Security Advancement Award for strengthening IT security within the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Oct 24, 2018 Ryan McDaniel appointed executive director of Security Identity Services McDaniel has worked in higher education for more than 20 years, with roles in instruction, student records, and admissions. In his time managing student and faculty services at Stanford University, Alta Colleges, and the University of Colorado, Ryan supported enterprise resource planning applications and online education services.
- Aug 29, 2018 Inaugural Virginia Cybersecurity Education Conference brings together educators The conference theme, Innovative Teaching and Learning in Cybersecurity, got attendees thinking about ways to engage students at all grade levels in hands-on, meaningful educational activities related to cybersecurity.
- Aug 26, 2018 OneCampus connects students, faculty, and staff to online resources and applications
Division of IT Spotlights
- Jun 26, 2018 Video for Instruction: establishing a comprehensive video strategy for the future It can seem a bit magical to users when enterprise-wide programs change service providers, but a peek inside the process reveals the teamwork and planning required to get from idea to launch. With the contracts for WebEx and Echo360 services ending in June 2018, Technology-enhanced Learning and Online Strategies began planning for a possible service change by forming the Video-for-Instruction working group in 2016. The VFI group was charged to evaluate all the available, innovative, and affordable service options for using video in teaching and learning with a specific focus on services not requiring proprietary hardware or file formats. The resulting report recommended the ideal service transition would feature the new tools integrated into existing services with all content migrated and no disruptions for users while offering an easier to use and improved service compared to those replaced.
- Mar 26, 2018 A gradual rollout of Banner 9 has begun in some administrative offices On March 12, 2018, a gradual rollout of Banner 9 administrative pages began in a few administrative offices on campus, including the Bursar’s Office, the Registrar’s Office, and others. Banner 9 is the next generation of the university's enterprise resource planning system, which provides integrated management of our core business processes.
- Feb 12, 2018 Hidden Figures: Into the Future Come to Virginia Tech on March 20 to attend a free matinee showing of the acclaimed motion picture Hidden Figures in Haymarket Theater (doors open at 3:30pm). Events are free of charge, but you do need to pre-register so that we can keep track of how many spaces are left.
IT Events Calendar
- Dec 18, 2018 Torgersen Hall 1100 CETL: Course Design Clinic CETL: Course Design Clinic: The Course Design Clinic has been developed to provide you with focused support as you are planning for a new course or revising an existing course. During the day and a half-long session, you will be guided through several stages of course design to include: 1) identifying goals and learning outcomes 2) organizing the syllabus and schedule 3) designing individual class meetings, activities, and assignments 4) planning for assessment of student learning Through working with the staff at the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, you will receive guidance on rigorous instructional design, assignment-based assessment, active learning strategies, and inclusive course design. The goal of this clinic is to get you to think through multiple levels of granularity for your course and complete much of planning at once while having instructional experts on hand. You will leave the clinic well on your way to having a complete course, syllabus, and task list for implementation.
- Dec 18, 2018 Torgersen Hall 1100 Elements Hands-On Working Session Elements Hands-On Working Session: Join Peggy Layne and Ginny Pannabecker for this hands-on working session geared towards all VT faculty interested in or using the VT Elements System (Electronic Faculty Activity Data and Reporting System - also used for eFARs by some areas). Facilitators will provide a brief introduction (10-20 minutes), combined with hands-on work and discussion (20 minutes) between facilitators and participants regarding questions and tips on points such as: data import options, report generation, depositing works to the VTechWorks repository via the Elements system, or other topics of interest to those at the session. The session will conclude with time (30-45 min) for participants to work on their Elements profiles. By the end of the session, participants will: -be familiar with the components of the Elements system, including what comes in automatically, and what needs to be entered manually -be able to identify resources to help later on for entering data into the system -have edited their profile page bio, links, and other information -have set auto-claiming and search settings for publication data -be able to export available reports and use available annual reporting modules (depends on college) -have started to review existing data and to enter new data into their Elements profile for teaching, research, and service activities for the past year or more -have answers to or a follow up point for their specific questions about the system