IT News @ Virginia Tech
- Feb 14, 2019 High-performance computing boosts art and design students’ creative power Students taking the university’s advanced animation course will now be able to create complex projects more quickly and efficiently, thanks to a collaboration between the School of Visual Arts, Advanced Research Computing, and the Institute for Creativity, Arts, and Technology.
- Feb 13, 2019 University Directory Service helps Virginia Tech make connections 24/7 This notice lets people know that the university switchboard is now officially called the University Directory Service, and can be accessed by calling 231-6000.
- Jan 28, 2019 Design and Develop Awards request for proposals announced The Design and Develop Awards promote high-quality, technology-enhanced teaching and learning experiences for courses offered online.
- Jan 28, 2019 Student survey: EDUCAUSE technology research in academic communities Please take a few minutes to complete this survey of your experiences with technology at Virginia Tech.
- Jan 28, 2019 Survey: EDUCAUSE technology research in academic communities Survey underway to collect information on faculty experiences with university technology services and capabilities
- Jan 25, 2019 Call for nominations: XCaliber Award 2019 The XCaliber Award celebrates courses and significant projects that demonstrate exemplary use of technology and student-centered pedagogy.
Division of IT Spotlights
- Jun 26, 2018 Video for Instruction: establishing a comprehensive video strategy for the future It can seem a bit magical to users when enterprise-wide programs change service providers, but a peek inside the process reveals the teamwork and planning required to get from idea to launch. With the contracts for WebEx and Echo360 services ending in June 2018, Technology-enhanced Learning and Online Strategies began planning for a possible service change by forming the Video-for-Instruction working group in 2016. The VFI group was charged to evaluate all the available, innovative, and affordable service options for using video in teaching and learning with a specific focus on services not requiring proprietary hardware or file formats. The resulting report recommended the ideal service transition would feature the new tools integrated into existing services with all content migrated and no disruptions for users while offering an easier to use and improved service compared to those replaced.
- Mar 26, 2018 A gradual rollout of Banner 9 has begun in some administrative offices On March 12, 2018, a gradual rollout of Banner 9 administrative pages began in a few administrative offices on campus, including the Bursar’s Office, the Registrar’s Office, and others. Banner 9 is the next generation of the university's enterprise resource planning system, which provides integrated management of our core business processes.
- Feb 12, 2018 Hidden Figures: Into the Future Come to Virginia Tech on March 20 to attend a free matinee showing of the acclaimed motion picture Hidden Figures in Haymarket Theater (doors open at 3:30pm). Events are free of charge, but you do need to pre-register so that we can keep track of how many spaces are left.
IT Events Calendar
- Feb 20, 2019 Torgersen Hall 1100 Creating Affirming and Inclusive Grad... Creating Affirming and Inclusive Graduate Education Environment: This half-day session offers strategies and practices for faculty to create inclusive, affirming and globally diverse learning environments for graduate students. These strategies and practices range from the classroom to program considerations and include those for mentoring and individual interactions. This general overview will include identification of and response to implicit bias and micro-aggressions as well as the development of inclusive pedagogy.