Changes to Password Requirements
New password complexity rules were implemented on January 29, 2018 to increase security for all accounts using the VT Username (PID) identifier (including Hokies, Google, and Oracle/Banner services) making passwords easier to remember.
The Network Password (for eduroam WiFi and VPN access) is also now administered via a different system.
The new rules for VT Username (PID), Google, and Hokies Passphrases:
- At least 12 characters.
- A maximum of 64 characters.
- Shorter passphrases (12-19 characters) must include mixed case letters plus either a numeral or a special character.
- Longer passphrases (20+ characters) offer more freedom – you can use spaces and any combination of characters, cases, and symbols. Sentences and memorable phrases are allowed.
- Some passphrases are unavailable, based on the VT IT Security Office dictionary of previously hacked passwords.
- Can’t be the same as any of your last five passwords.
- Can’t contain your VT Username forward or backward.
- Can’t contain sequences of 5 or more ordered characters (for example: abcde, qwert, 12345, aaaaa, 11111).
The new rules for Oracle/Banner Passphrases:
- Just like the rules for VT Username passphrases, except
- / @ $ [space] " a few other characters and unicode are invalid for Oracle passphrases.