Division of Information Technology
The IT Transformation will foster innovation and efficiency, strengthening our IT products, services, and career pathways.
The 4Help page connects you with support, answers from our Knowledge Base, and our catalog of technology services.
Providing technology solutions that meet the changing needs of Virginia Tech's students, faculty, and staff.
Information Technology compliance and best practices.
Descriptions of open positions within the Division of Information Technology.
General ItemAcceptable Use Policy and Standard specify employee responsibilities when using university information systems
Policy 7000 governs the use and administration of Virginia Tech computer and communication systems, network, services, and data. Users are advised to review and understand the policy and accompanying standard.Date: Sep 20, 2023
General ItemUpcoming changes to Duo two-factor authentication interface
A new user interface, known as the Duo Universal Prompt, will be implemented at Virginia Tech beginning Oct. 9, 2023. During the transition period, you may see both the current Duo interface and the new Duo interface, depending on which applications you are logging into.Date: Sep 19, 2023
General ItemUpcoming information sessions on IT Procurement changes Date: Sep 15, 2023
General ItemEmail Phishing Scam Alert
Virginia Tech has received a number of phishing emails in recent days claiming to offer student job opportunities. These emails may have a subject line such as “POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT,” “ASSISTANT JOB OPPORTUNITY, “Flexible Internship Work,” or similar.Date: Sep 06, 2023
Division of IT Spotlights
- Aug 28, 2023 Zoom Phone Migration Network Infrastructure and Services (NI&S) is currently preparing users and service managers to migrate from the Avaya phone system to Zoom’s Phone and Call Center solutions, based on the familiar Zoom platform.
- Aug 04, 2023 Google and Microsoft Service Changes at Virginia Tech Virginia Tech is modifying the service decision on Google Workspace in response to a statement from Microsoft on upcoming major changes to their licensing model for higher education institutions. While costs to the university for Google storage are slated to increase beginning in July 2024, the costs of Microsoft’s storage will also be significantly higher beginning in July of 2025.
- Jun 14, 2023 Application Restrictions - TikTok, WeChat, others A new state law requires Virginia Tech to cease use of TikTok and other applications developed by ByteDance or Tencent for any official university purposes, effective July 1, 2023, and to stop accessing these applications from university-owned devices or using the university's networks. In addition to TikTok, these applications include: Capcut, Hypic, and ULike (from ByteDance), and WeChat, WeCom, Tencent QQ, QQmail, Tencent Video, and Tencent Music (from Tencent). Other apps may also be included.
- Mar 01, 2023 Moving the internet beyond its boundaries This year marks the 25th anniversary of the university's first implementation of the IPv6 protocol on its networks.
- Jan 20, 2023 Minh-An Pence named human resources director for the Division of Information Technology Minh-An Pence will lead the Division of Information Technology’s human resources (HR) team and join a growing cadre of HR division directors across the university.
- Nov 07, 2022 Dale Pike promoted as part of Technology-enhanced Learning and Online Strategies reorganization Dale Pike, executive director of Technology-enhanced Learning and Online Strategies (TLOS), has been promoted to the rank of associate vice provost and will now report to Executive Vice Provost Don Taylor.